Men’s hockey continues Cornell rivalry on road tomorrow night

By Karan Lodha, Crimson Staff Writer

Fresh off of an upset of No. 3 Boston College, the Harvard men’s hockey team will head to upstate New York to take on No. 11 Cornell tomorrow night and Colgate on Saturday.

After starting its ECAC slate 0-3 and with the high-ranked Eagles looming, the Crimson (1-3-0, 0-3-0 ECAC) seemed doomed to head into the hostile confines of the Big Red’s Lynah Rink without a victory to its credit. But a 4-0 blanking of Boston College put Harvard in the win column.

The Crimson saw the game against the Eagles “as an opportunity to get things turned around and headed in the right direction,” said Harvard coach Ted Donato ’91.

The turnaround comes at an opportune time for the Crimson. Though Harvard defeated Cornell in Ithaca last year, that was the first time since 1999 that the Crimson was able to overcome the Big Red at Lynah.

Add that to the fact that Cornell (4-0-0, 2-0-0) is undefeated, and Harvard faces a formidable task on Friday night.

“We know that playing at Lynah…is a witches’ cauldron,” Donato said. “We expect this to be a very emotional, physical game.”

After facing the Big Red, the Crimson will take on Colgate (3-4-2, 0-1-1) on Saturday afternoon.

In its last contest—a tie against Brown—the Raiders scored six goals, and its high-powered offense will test Harvard’s newly rediscovered defense.

Men's Ice Hockey