Hark, Hear The Bells, Sweet Russian Bells

Father Roman isn’t one of the official Klappermeisters for the Lowell Bells, but he may soon get his chance if the bells return to Moscow.
By Joshua J. Kearney, Contributing Writer

Perhaps you’ve already heard that the Lowell House bells are slated to be sent back to Russia—maybe even as early as this August according to Lowell House resident tutor and senior Klappermeister Benjamin I. Rapoport ’03. This fact, however, has not dampened the spirits of the students who climb the stairs to the bell tower every Sunday to create the jovial—if mildly clamorous—bell-ringing festivities.

The Lowell House bells were purchased from the Soviet Union by Charles R. Crane, who presented them as a gift to Harvard in 1930. Since the fall of the USSR and the end of forced secularism in Russia, the monks of the Danilov Monastery—whence the bells originate—have been asking for their return. It seems this summer they may get them back, in exchange for a new set of bells to take their place in the Lowell tower.

Currently, it’s high time for Christmas music, and a somewhat atonal “Jingle Bells” was featured among a number of other Christmas songs last weekend.

The Harry Potter theme song and the famous Darth Vader motif from “Star Wars” were also played by some of the more experienced participants.

There are three official Klappermeisters, distinguished by their keys to the tower, but there are many enthusiasts who join on a weekly basis.

There is no practice, no warm up, and no pressure to do well. The students just have fun, and play whatever they want.

Last Sunday, I had the opportunity to join the Klappermeisters in their weekly ritual.

After waiting for the bells of St. Paul’s to begin ringing, the 15-minute concerto commenced. Students and observers ran up to the taut ropes that controlled the bells in no particular order, receiving applause and support during and after their performances.

Some people donned earplugs, while others roughed it while the gigantic bell known as “Mother Earth” clanged away.

Klappermeister Elisa M. Olivieri ’08 says she has been making the weekly pilgrimage since the beginning of her freshman year.

“When I found out Harvard had one of the only complete sets of Russian Bells in the world, I was pretty excited” she explains.

She, along with fellow Klappermeisters Rapoport and Molly J. Hester ’08 brave inclement conditions and even stick around in the summers to keep the bells ringing.

“It’s good exercise,” Olivieri says modestly.

Up to 30 people can come up to the tower on Sundays to learn about the composition and history of the bells, and get in on the action. “We’ve even had a bell-ringing tourist group,” Olivieri says.

Luckily, you don’t have to know how to play a song, or even carry a tune, to participate in the revelry. Everyone in attendance was strongly encouraged to participate, and even I banged out some unmelodic notes on the tower’s 17 bells.

The Klappermeisters and participants are not obligated to follow the orthodox, rhythmic Russian style of ringing, but are rather encouraged to do their own thing. Students more familiar with the bells can play a variety of songs, ranging from something off the Billboard Top 40 to theme songs from soundtracks. Those unfamiliar can improvise, stomping pedals and pulling strings to their hearts’ content.

Olivieri says that, on a recent trip to China, when she went to ring a famous set of bells at the Great Bell Temple, the legacy of the bells was close behind. “Apparently a representative from the Danilov Monastery had been to the temple to see the Chinese bells only two weeks before!” she writes in an e-mail.

Aside from their weekly duties, the Klappermeisters also have traditional roles, ringing the bells at more serious events. “We have to ring at graduation and other special occasions,” Rapoport explains. “High Table, New Year’s, and thirteen times on Halloween,” to name a few.

The Klappermeisters seem to be happy about the benefits of the deal that will return the bells to Russia.

“Getting a new set of bells is actually quite exciting—To choose sizes, designs, (even new names!),” Olivieri writes. “It’s not every day you get to shop for something so unusual and, well, huge.”