Yes on the EAC Referendum

Despite several reservations, we endorse the greenhouse gas reduction initiative

By The Crimson Staff

When Harvard undergraduates log onto their computers to vote in the Undergraduate Council (UC) election next week, their votes could have impact much further reaching than simply a handful of candidates for 2007. Students will have the opportunity to vote on a referendum co-sponsored by the UC and the Environmental Action Committee (EAC). The referendum calls on the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) “to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions to a level 11 percent below total emissions in 1990 by the year 2020.” We encourage students to vote “yes” on the measure as a symbolic gesture in support of the worthy end of greenhouse gas reduction.

We were, admittedly, initially opposed to the placement of the initiative on this years ballot, and we maintain our reservations regarding its specificity. The EAC’s proposal backing this initiative lacks crucial details about financing that give us pause. In particular, the report lacks any concrete estimates for how much this initiative will cost. Moreover, we stand by the principle that Harvard’s dollars are best allocated towards research on energy rather than its own cutbacks on emissions. Harvard boasts some of the world’s greatest minds, and the University could achieve much by harnessing talent and funneling more resources toward energy research.

Nevertheless, with the initiative now on the ballot, we believe Harvard taking action—even if it doesn’t follow the letter of the initiative—is of crucial importance, and in that spirit, we urge students to support the referendum. A “no” vote risks sending the message to the Harvard administration that students are apathetic or even unsupportive of this environmental issue. And this is anything but the case.

There has been increasing enthusiasm for issues such as climate change and energy independence, thanks in large part to national media and to the successful publicity campaigns of student groups like the EAC this fall. Now is the time to capitalize on that enthusiasm. According to the EAC, FAS produces 100,000 metric tons of carbon emissions each year. An 11 percent reduction of this number would be consistent with the policy already in place in 31 American cities and Yale University’s recent pledge to reduce emissions by 10 percent. We have faith that given a message of support from undergraduates, the Harvard community will rally to find the precise figures to make a greenhouse gas reduction initiative feasible.

Harvard students have a chance next week to take a stand against climate change. When we do this, we’ll be setting an example for academic institutions and the world at large. We hope the administration takes such a gesture to heart by establishing the necessary committees to enable Harvard to be a model green institution.