Cross Takes Time Off to Ready for Olympics

Junior Emily Cross (right) will be taking a leave of absence from Harvard to train for the 2008 Olympics. Although she cannot compete for Harvard if she participates in the Olympics, she plans to continue her involvment in the team in a leadership role.
By Madeleine I. Shapiro, Crimson Staff Writer

Every small child dreams of one day standing atop the podium with a United States flag, a bouquet of flowers, and a medal around the neck, listening to the sounds of the Star Spangled Banner.

With the beginning of the 2008 Summer Olympics training in fencing, junior foil fencer Emily Cross may be able to realize that dream.

Last month the New York, N.Y. native decided to move her life from the world of books and Harvard Square to a life among the international circuit of weapons.

“I made the decision to try to qualify over the summer, and then this semester was really hectic for me,” Cross says. “I had a couple of competitions where I was gone for weeks at a time and it was overly stressful…I just can’t handle all of this at the same time.”

Anyone in the science concentrations can attest to the fact that athletics and organic chemistry or biology are not easy tasks to complete simultaneously.

In her time with the Crimson the junior has handled things as best can be expected.

“I don’t think anybody historically was able to do that while they were still at a very good school, develop that quickly and reach this pinnacle for fencing,” Harvard coach Peter Brand says. “She’s been really magnificent.”

The loss of Cross will leave a large gap in the foil squad, which must be bridged by three talented but inexperienced freshman. Although the three are up to the task, there is not one big enough to entirely fill her shoes.

“There’s absolutely no doubt that she’s the best that we have ever had,” Brand says. “That goes both for the men and the women.”

Instead of keeping the talent to himself, the coach is one of Cross’s biggest supporters. He pushed her to compete internationally even when she, herself, was unsure she could do it.

But according to Brand the Olympic leave has been a long time coming.

Cross is the back-to-back Junior World Champion, and is currently first in the National Senior Foil rankings. Her performances internationally have proved her potential worth as an asset to the U.S. squad. It was solely up to Cross to realize how valuable she is to the national team.

Now that she has done so the path begins with competition from February to March and May to June nearly every weekend to begin the qualifying season.

The test will not stop there.

International meets will continue until February of 2008 when she will begin to get an idea for whether or not she is in, although nothing will be set in stone until May.

With a year and a half of maintained health and solid focus, Cross is a likely candidate for a spot.

Upon arrival, the junior and her coach differ on what the outcome will be.

Cross claims it is likely she will contribute to the team push for a medal, while Brand argues individual hardware may be in order.

“My goal is to see how good I can get when I’m really putting everything I have into it,” Cross says. “I want to do as well as I can, obviously in the team event I want to help us medal.”

“As far as individual goals I would love to medal, but I don’t think I am up there yet,” she adds.

Whatever the outcome, the foil fencer plans to return to campus in the fall of 2008 to finish her academic training.

Although at that time she will no longer be eligible to compete at the college level, she will likely contribute even then, as demonstrated by her current level of dedication to the program.

Before her leave, Cross will attend every meet to help the freshman get acquainted with the new style of competition. So far she has been like a second coach.

“She’s a great leader,” Brand says. “She provides a good role model for the ladies.”

Why shouldn’t she be?

There is no better model than someone who has the talent and focus to live the Olympic dream.

Fencing