Judges Adjourned as Harvard Squads Earn Win

Men’s foil suffers only loss of meet as Crimson rolls past Brandeis

Senior saber fencer Daniel Sachs, shown here in earlier action, won his bout last night as part of 9-0 victory by the men’s saber squad. The Crimson men handed the Judges a 19-8 defeat—improving their undefeated record—while the Harvard women’s team won b
By Loren Amor, Contributing Writer

Both of Harvard’s fencing teams continued their early season success, defeating the Brandeis Judges on the road in Waltham, Mass.

The women’s team (5-1) won easily by a score of 22-5, while the men’s team (5-0) took its match, 19-8.

The women claimed victory across the board, winning the epee, foil, and saber. They were led by junior saber fencer Alexa Weingarden, who won all three of her bouts and was only touched twice the entire match.

Crimson coach Peter Brand referred to Weingarden as a “very consistent, very smart fencer, and a real competitor.”

“She’s been brilliant right from the beginning of the season,” Brand said.

Junior saber fencer Carolyn Wright went undefeated in her three bouts as well, and the saber squad finished the match, 8-1.

The women’s foil also went 8-1, as freshman Arielle Pensler and sophomore Lisa Vastola turned in undefeated efforts.

The epee unit performed well for the women, finishing 6-3 in large part due to a 3-0 performance by sophomore Maria Larsson.

On the men’s side, the score was slightly closer, but the result was the same.

Harvard tacked another victory on to its undefeated record, thanks to a dominant performance from its saber team.

“They did what they needed to and beyond that,” said junior epee fencer Benjamin Ungar.

The saber fencers took all nine of their bouts, with co-captain and All-American Timothy Hagamen leading the charge.

While Hagamen continued his consistent play, it was senior Daniel Sachs’ dramatic improvement that most impressed Brand.

“Dan has improved significantly [since] last weekend,” Brand said. “I’m really happy that he’s now fencing at his potential.

“[Last weekend at NYU] he had bouts where he looked brilliant, and then he would really tank it. Here he showed what he can really do.”

The men also won in the epee by a count of 6-3.

Ungar easily dispelled the competition, winning all three of his bouts and only getting touched twice.

Ungar is the reigning NCAA champion in the epee and won a bronze medal at the Junior World Championships last year.

“He’s the best epee fencer in the country right now,” Brand said.

The only weak point in the match for the Crimson came from the men’s foil squad, which was defeated, 5-4, accounting for Harvard’s sole loss of the meet.

Brand has high hopes for the men’s team, as he expects it to repeat as Ivy League champion this season, despite the stiff competition from an improved Columbia team.

“We are essentially on the same track we were on last year,” he said.

The coach is somewhat less convinced about the future of the women’s team. With junior foil fencer Emily Cross taking time off to train for the Olympics and Wright embarking on a study abroad program next semester, the women will be missing some key fencers as they enter into Ivy League play.

According to Brand, the women’s chances rest on the performance of its newest members.

“We have quite a few freshmen on our team and they’re going to have to step it up a notch,” he said.

Despite the uncertainties, both the men and women’s teams are off to strong starts. They look to continues their success Saturday at home against Sacred Heart.

Fencing