Cummings Calls Upon Youth

Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, D-Md, the former chair of the Congressional
Black Caucus, spoke about black political empowerment in the post
civil-rights era last night at the John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum.<br>
Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, D-Md, the former chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, spoke about black political empowerment in the post civil-rights era last night at the John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum.<br>
By Ryshelle M. Mccadney, Contributing Writer

Congressman Elijah E. Cummings, D-Md., called on students to actively participate in politics as future leaders in an address at the John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum last night.

Although the talk was titled “Black Political Empowerment Post Civil-Rights,” Cummings said the challenges facing African Americans embodied problems facing the nation as a whole, and he spoke broadly of the importance of inclusion.

“Americans of color will not be fully empowered until all Americans are empowered,” said Cummings, who recently served as chair of the Congressional Black Caucus. “It is incorrect to speak about civil rights in the past tense.”

The representative critiqued the current administration, saying America has an unfinished commitment to universal and affordable education and health care, and to the ongoing civil rights movement.

The remaining disparity in this country, exemplified by the victims of Hurricane Katrina, must be addressed because “people pay taxes and must demand rights of their citizenship,” Cummings said.

Cummings also repeatedly emphasized that young students should lead change in America.

Recounting his personal experience, Cummings emphasized the importance of education and leadership in bringing about change. He told the audience how he progressed from being a child of sharecroppers and special education designee, to a Phi Beta Kappa college graduate and a member of Congress.

Audience members—largely composed of conference attendees and Kennedy School students—erupted in applause several times during Cummings’ remarks.

Jason C.B. Lee ’08 said he thought the address “touched on the issues we often don’t get to talk about, but should, on campus.”

Audience members asked questions about how change should be enacted in America and how the current administration should be countered.

“How can we generate momentum to prompt impeachment?” one member of the audience asked.

Cummings responded that although impeachment is unlikely, people should continue to demand good government.

Cummings closed with an appeal to students to use their talents to touch others, which received resounding applause. Markus R.T. Kolic ’09 said “it was stunning, the man is a passionate and inspiring leader.”

The representative’s speech “reminds me of why I came to the Kennedy School,” Jewel A. James said. “I hope that it inspires others, as well.”

Cummings’ speech kicked off the annual Public Policy and Leadership Conference, which aims “to increase the number of minorities involved in policy making” according to James, a co-director of the conference.