At the ’Berg, An Early Bird Special

By Sam Teller, Crimson Staff Writer

As the saying goes, the early bird gets the buffalo chicken. At least that’s the case at Annenberg these days—the famed freshman dining hall now opens its doors for dinner at 4 p.m.

The earlier hours have been in effect since students returned from winter break, and between 60 and 100 students on average now swipe in before 5 p.m. each day, according to Crista Martin, assistant director for marketing of Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS).

While many freshmen say they appreciate the added convenience, Undergraduate Council (UC) President John S. Haddock ’07 said the UC’s goal of extending hours later into the evening remains unchanged.

“We’re happy about it,” Haddock said. “But it has no bearing on the fight to keep dining halls open later. It shows HUDS trying to make do with what money they have.”

Indeed, because the HUDS staff is already working during the 4 p.m. hour, there are “no extra costs,” according to Martin.

HUDS spokeswoman Jami M. Snyder said that HUDS is committed to solving the problem of late night dining, but that the solution would likely not involve residential dining halls.

“Places like Hilles and the [planned Loker] Pub will be offering extended dining options and will be open later serving food,” Snyder said. “We hope that these new locations will help alleviate the needs of students and that everyone will continue working on finding a solution.”

Two Fridays ago, between four and five, a flock of famished first years filled up on food, as a half dozen dining hall employees enjoyed some downtime before the dinner rush.

Thayer resident Jennifer M. DeCoste ’09 said her 4:30 p.m. dinner would be her “last food of the day,” an inconceivable prospect for most students.

“Sometimes I steal an apple [for later],” she said. “Well, not steal—Annenburglary.”

DeCoste said early dinner provided an escape from the typical Annenberg social melee.

“I don’t necessarily like to do my socializing while I eat,” said DeCoste. “At four you can come and eat by yourself and not feel like a loser.”

Munching on Frosted Mini Spooners and a turkey sandwich, Frances M. Tompkins ’09 said it was her first time taking advantage of the extended hours.

“I’m happy to have another hour to slip in,” said Tompkins, who had missed lunch earlier in the day. “But it’s not something I’ll use every day.”

Isaiah K. Mwangi ’09, dining on chicken and rice with a side of cake, agreed.

“It’s not a daily thing,” he said.

Still, the burning question remains: does a meal eaten before 5 p.m. really count as dinner?

“It’s dinner for me,” said Mwangi. DeCoste said the same.

Kenisha J. Perkins, a HUDS customer service manager, said enough students were showing up for “dinner” to justify the early opening.

“At first it was slow, because not many people knew about it,” said Perkins. “But with the turnout we’re getting, I’m assuming they’re happy.”

—Staff writer Sam Teller can be reached at steller@fas.harvard.edu.