HELP ME, HARVEY!

Dear Harvey,

I’ve seen a bunch of ads for a new contraceptive called NuvaRing. Can you tell me how it works, its reliability, and if it is covered by the Harvard University Health Services plan?

Thanks,

Contraceptively Confused

Dear Contraceptively Confused,

Harvey commends you on being proactive about exploring your contraceptive options! However, before Harvey “rings” in this new column by answering your question, it should be emphasized that contraceptives like NuvaRing do not guard against STIs, nor are they 100% effective. Condoms are the safest way to guard against STIs and may be used to complement NuvaRing effectively.

NuvaRing is a thin, flexible polymer ring that fits inside the vagina, where it remains for three weeks, slowly releasing hormones that prevent pregnancy. NuvaRing doesn’t take effect until about one week after it is inserted, so other forms of contraception are necessary during this time. After the third week, NuvaRing is removed to allow menstruation; subsequently a new ring is inserted to begin a new cycle.

Harvey cautions that similar to birth control pills, NuvaRing can cause side effects such as headache, nausea, and breast tenderness. Although only in 2 percent of the cases, some women have felt discomfort from using NuvaRing and some partners could feel it during intercourse.

If a contraceptive like NuvaRing sounds right for you, Harvey recommends that you set up an appointment with your primary care. NuvaRing is offered by prescription and is covered by your health plan with a monthly $20 co-pay for most students.

Sincerely,

Harvey

Hey Harvey,

My whole weekend is ruined when I wake up hungover. How can I prevent or cure a hangover?

Yours,

Hung Out To Dry.

Dear Hung Out,

Harvey feels your pain. The hangover is one of those nasty side effects of an overly vigorous night of drinking. From a pounding headache to nausea, hangovers are caused by alcohol’s effect on the body’s fluid balance and by the body’s reaction to alcohol withdrawal

Hangovers are much easier to prevent than to cure. Harvey recommends that you eat before and pace yourself while drinking. Set a limit to your night’s worth of drinking and stick to it. There is some truth to the saying “beer before liquor, never sicker”: Alternating between different kinds of drinks can lead to headaches and an upset stomach. Do alternate, however, between alcohol and food or non-alcoholic beverages, especially water. Also, skip drinking soda—carbonation can speed up intoxication and increase headaches.

Time is the only true way to cure a hangover. Cold showers, exercise, and food will not speed up your body’s metabolism of alcohol. Aspirin or ibuprofen can sometimes be taken to prevent the headache pain. These drugs can cause some gastrointestinal discomfort, especially for those with sensitive stomachs. Harvey wants to stress that you must never take Tylenol or other acetaminophen while or after drinking, as it can react dangerously with the chemicals in your body and cause permanent liver damage.

In the meantime, “hang” in there and get some rest!

Best of luck,

Harvey

“Help Me Harvey” is a health column that will be published biweekly in The Harvard Crimson. Send your questions to harvey@thecrimson.com. All submissions are confidential.