SOFTBALL '06: Freshman Class Rounds Out Small Roster

Coach Allard will expect immediate contributions from four rookies

Catcher Hayley Bock will split starts behind the plate when she’s not providing offensive firepower as a designated hitter.
By Walter E. Howell, Crimson Staff Writer

Although the seasons change, one thing has remained constant in Harvard sports this year: freshmen women have come to play.

Following stellar seasons from stars such as Erin Wylie in soccer and Emily Tay in basketball, the four freshman of the Crimson women’s softball team—Hayley Bock, Suzi Cominski, Jade Reichling, and Bailey Vertovez—will look to continue the trend.

If their play meets Harvard coach Jenny Allard’s expectations, then it will be no problem.

“Our freshmen are great,” Allard says. “We expect big things from them.”

The foursome will not be in need of playing time, as the Crimson sport a team of only 16 players. The chance to step up will be waiting for the group right from the start.

“With a small squad of 16, you’ve got four freshmen, they’re going to play,” Allard says. “[And] they’re going to have impact right away.”

IT’S ALL O’ VERTOVEZ

Haling from West Islip, NY, Vertovez recognizes that college ball in Cambridge poses a more difficult challenge than her high school days in New York.

The adjustment is especially tough on the mound.

“Hitters are much stronger in college,” Vertovez says. “And now with the mound 43 feet out instead of 40 in high school, my riseball rises a little too fast for the hitters.”

She will have to adjust fast, for Vertovez will enter the season as a viable option on the mound for the Crimson, as seen in her pitching two innings during a game last fall.

“[Vertovez] is going to play a large role for us on the mound right away,” Allard says, “and in the middle infield.”

In addition to pitching, Vertovez will back up at shortstop and second base, making her preparation for the season especially difficult. She has to split time in the cage and on the field, not to mention on the mound.

In this final area, Vertovez will provide a much needed change-up for the Crimson pitching staff.

She is a rise-ball pitcher, meaning her ball is said to travel up in the zone—a striking contrast to the returning pitchers for Harvard who are primarily low-ball hurlers.

And Vertovez has worked on some new tricks as well.

“What I’ve been working on a knuckleball screwball,” Vertovez says, “the catcher can barely hold on to it.”

BOCK AND LOAD

These freshman girls show excitement to step in and step up, right from the start.

From the accounts of her teammates, Hayley Bock may have the most firepower to put that excitement into action.

“Hayley is a huge hitter,” Vertovez says, “She can park that ball.”

Bock appreciates the praise but also recognizes the strengths each freshman brings to the table are comparable to her own.

“It’s great they think of me as the big hitter,” Bock says. “But that’s not fair—we have two great pitchers, and [Reichling] brings so much with her arm and speed.”

Despite her humility, the fact remains that her bat has taken her far to this point in training. Allard expects her to split time at catcher and possibly start at designated hitter.

Bock just wants any shot.

“I’m going to try my hardest to be a starter,” Bock says. “If not, I’d really be excited to be DH.”

ACE OF JADES

Call Jade Reichling best-all-around for this freshman class. In the words of her coach, she can do almost anything.

“Jade can play anywhere for us,” Allard says. “She can catch, she can play middle infield, she can play the outfield.”

She can fly. Literally.

The consensus from the team is that what Jade brings to best help her team is tremendous speed.

“She’s such a dynamic player,” Bock says, “because of her great arm and speed.”

Reichling will look to backup at second and centerfield, but could be used in any number of other positions to aid the Crimson.

OUT OF COMINSKI PARK

The final member of the fearsome foursome is Suzi Cominski, a developing pitcher for the Crimson with huge upside.

“Suzi can do a lot of things for us pitching-wise,” Allard says. “She needs to develop a little bit more, but she has the depth to hit for us and possibly play first base and add a lot to us in other ways as well.”

As a result of her strengths, Cominski will look to play some first this season but will spend most of her time on the mound.

And as Bock pronounces, that is just where she can serve the team best.

“Me and Suzi have known each other a long time,” Bock says. “She’s another great pitcher, and her drop-ball is definitely her strength.”

—Staff writer Walter E. Howell can be reached at wehowell@fas.harvard.edu.

Softball