Hotel Manager Reflects on Genocide

By Ariadne C. Medler, Contributing Writer

Paul Rusesabagina, who was general manager of the Hotel des Milles Collines during the 1994 Rwandan genocide, delivered a stirring address to a full house last night at the First Parish Church.

“That year, I learned how to deal with evil,” Rusesabagina said. Approximately 800,000 people were killed in 100 days during the genocide.

Rusesabagina, who was made head of the Belgian-owned hotel soon after the genocide began, is seen as a hero for his role in guarding the 1,268 Tutsis and moderate Hutus who sought refuge at the hotel from the killings. As the vast majority of foreigners fled the country, Rusesabagina was twice given the opportunity to leave Rwanda, but he chose to stay.

“If I leave tomorrow, I will never again in my life be a free man,” Rusesabagina said, referring to his first chance to leave Rwanda. “I will be a prisoner of my own conscience.”

All the refugees were evacuated on June 18, 1994, and re-encountered a Rwanda that “smelled of death,” Rusesabagina said. “There were so many flies, so many dead bodies, and no one to bury them. Dogs barking, fighting for those dead bodies.”

Rusesabagina’s story gained international attention with the success of the 2004 film “Hotel Rwanda,” which chronicled Rusesabagina’s actions during the genocide. The film was nominated for three Academy Awards, including Best Actor for Don Cheadle’s portrayal of Rusesabagina.

Last night’s event, sponsored by Harvard Book Store, marked the release of Rusesabagina’s memoir, “An Ordinary Man: An Autobiography,” earlier this month by Viking Press.

The greatly-anticipated event sold out late Saturday afternoon, according to a Harvard Book Store employee, and a line stretched from the church to the corner of Garden Street and Mass. Ave. 40 minutes before the event’s start.

During his talk, Rusesabagina compared the Rwanda of 1994 to the current situation in Darfur.

“It’s exactly the same, and again the whole world stands by, watches, and doesn’t do anything,” he said. “What can we call that? How many people have to be killed until we call it genocide?”

Asked at the end of his presentation about his feelings toward the United Nations and its role in the Rwandan genocide, Rusesabagina quietly rejected the possibility of effective international action on the part of the U.N..

“The United Nations has proved to be a failure—hopeless,” he said. “I cannot tell you that I have faith in the United Nations anymore.”

Rusesabagina, who has received both the National Civil Rights Museum Freedom Award and the Presidential Medal of Freedom, ended his address with an emotional plea for action.

“There are so many voices calling you for help,” Rusesabagina said. “Please, ladies and gentlemen, do not be bystanders. Please, stand up and fight for justice.”