Crimson Keeps Moving Forward in Final Meet

Harvard takes sixth out of twelve at Cleveland Golf/URI Invitational

By Brad Hinshelwood, Crimson Staff Writer

It was an up-and-down weekend for the Harvard men’s golf team, as it followed a 330 on a windy day one with a solid 308 to close out the season and the Cleveland Golf/URI Invitational in Portsmouth, R.I.

The team finished sixth in the 12-team field at Green Valley Country Club, 27 shots behind eventual winner Binghamton—a team that will contend for an NCAA Regional at-large bid.

“It was a tough day one,” junior Tom Hegge said. “It was really windy, and I think 330 is one of our higher scores this year.”

The Crimson finished just eight shots back of third-place Dartmouth, while soundly defeating ninth-place Brown by 22 shots.

But despite the end of the season, the tournament was important as the team looks ahead to next year.

“It was about leaving a good taste in our mouth as we head to the summer,” Hegge said.

Freshman Michael Shore led the way, bringing in totals of 79 and 73 to place in a tie for fourth, four shots behind winner Austin Luher of Army.

Senior D.J. Hynes closed out his career with rounds of 79 and 75, placing Harvard’s leader seventh.

“It’s kind of bittersweet to end,” Hynes said.

“It was great to finish on a high note at the Ivies last weekend,” he added.

Hegge finished third on the team, tying for 15th overall with rounds of 83 and 76.

“The three of us [Shore, Hynes, and Hegge] played well both days,” Hynes said. “It was just crazy windy both days.”

Freshman John Christensen put together rounds of 89 and 84, placing in a tie for 50th, while freshman Josh Isner added an 84 on day two to round out the scoring.

With the year completed, the team is already looking ahead to next season, particularly to the challenge of replacing Hynes.

“Obviously, he was really consistent all year,” Hegge said. “He got better every year, and this year was the first year where he really took charge.”

“I think we’ll need a lot of sophomore and freshman help,” he added.

Shore had the team’s lowest stroke average in the fall season and will be counted on for consistently strong production next year.

Christensen also saw action in a significant number of events this year, giving hope that sophomore help may well be available.

Despite graduating, Hynes doesn’t seem concerned for the future of the team he leaves behind.

“I think the team looks good for next year,” he said.

With the vast majority of the roster returning from a squad that improved from last a year ago to sixth in the Ivies this season, that prediction may prove true.

—Staff writer Brad Hinshelwood can be reached at bhinshel@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Golf