SPORTS BRIEF: Softball's home opener delayed due to rain

By Brad Hinshelwood, Crimson Staff Writer

The weather spoiled the Harvard softball team’s scheduled doubleheader with Boston College yesterday, delaying the team’s home opener even further. The contests would have been the Crimson’s first home games since the season began on Mar. 4.

The games have been rescheduled for Apr. 11, maintaining their 3 p.m. start time.

Boston University is next up for the Crimson (10-11), as the Terriers invade the friendly confines of Soldiers Field on Thursday for a 3 p.m. doubleheader.

The Crimson will look to build and sustain some momentum both this week and into the weekend. Harvard has not swept a doubleheader against the same team all year, and has won two games in a day just once.

Those victories—over Florida International and Rhode Island—came on Mar. 10, the first day of the Blue and Gold Felsburg Memorial Tournament.

In a sport where essentially every series is played as a doubleheader, consistency will be crucial as the team approaches Ivy play.

Boston College and Boston University are two of the remaining five non-conference opponents on the Crimson’s schedule. Holy Cross, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island are the only other non-Ivy teams Harvard will face. The contests with the Terriers will also mark the Crimson’s last preparation before opening up Ivy League play this weekend. Harvard travels to Columbia and Cornell this weekend.

Both the Lions and Big Red are presently riding three-game win streaks. Columbia currently sits at 15-14-1, while Cornell has run its record to 14-13.

In other Ivy action, Penn and Princeton opened conference play last weekend, with the Tigers sweeping a doubleheader on the road from the Quakers.

Princeton is currently 16-8 overall, while Penn fell to 11-16 with the losses.

The remaining teams in the league will all open their conference seasons this Saturday. Brown (9-17) will travel to Penn, while Dartmouth (7-14) will open up at Cornell.

Princeton will play host to Yale (20-10), and Harvard will roll down I-95 to face Columbia.

—BRAD HINSHELWOOD

Softball