Broken in Two at Chez Vous

Losing the partners dance competition during last Thursday’s senior class “Roller Disco” wasn’t the only tough break Kristi L. Jobson
By Evan R Johnson and Samita A. Mannapperuma

Losing the partners dance competition during last Thursday’s senior class “Roller Disco” wasn’t the only tough break Kristi L. Jobson ’06 had that night. She also broke her arm during the dance-off portion of the evening when she and her partner, Timothy J. McGinn ’06, took things up to a short-lived “next level.”

After advancing to the eighth round of competition, Jobson and McGinn, both Crimson editors, decided that in order to win the coveted $50 prize, they would need to spice up their wildly popular pushup and sit-up infused routine.

“We only made it [that far] based on reputation, and that my roommate [Theodore E. Chestnut ’06] was judging,” McGinn says.

But the coordination which had characterized the earlier Jazzercise-style performance was lost when they tried out some new material. Both say that a spin of some sort was involved in this new move, but “instead of spinning me around,” Jobson says of McGinn, “he knocked me over.”

The roller-fracas intensified when McGinn also lost his balance, and fell on top of Jobson, breaking her arm in two places.

“I’m a horrible dancer,” McGinn says. “I don’t know why I thought it would be a good idea.”

So how does former City Step extraordinaire Jobson feel about her aborted evening at the Chez Vous roller rink?

“I’m really not much on roller skates...the whole idea of the roller dance off is a little dangerous,” Jobson says. “But I had a really good time, and I broke my arm.”

As for the resurgence of a McGinn-Jobson roller-skating duo, “I don’t think she’ll dance anywhere near me anytime soon,” says McGinn.