‘Let’s Stay Together,’ with BSC’s Help

Worried about a summer breakup with your beau? Unhappy with the nagging ladyfriend? Pregnant? Here’s the good news: you can
By Nicola C. Perlman

Worried about a summer breakup with your beau? Unhappy with the nagging ladyfriend? Pregnant?

Here’s the good news: you can share these feelings of anguish with your very own shrink at the Bureau of Study Counsel (BSC). BSC’s counseling for couples offers advice on issues ranging from sexual intimacy to “breaking up or making up.”

While the BSC won’t provide official stats on student participation, it seems that not many undergrads are taking advantage of this vital campus resource.

“I wouldn’t go to the BSC. Woman skills aren’t like math. I mean, while I have them, it’s not my concentration, so I don’t need advice about them from a office of study counseling,” says Sam H. Chang ’09, who tends to embellish.

But what about those Harvard-wide issues that plague us all?

“Say you want to have a baby, keep it in your dorm, but are worried about your roommate’s reaction,” FM asked BSC Director Abigail Lipson, “what would you advise?”

Lipson offered no specific plan of action, ceding only that “students do come to counseling sometimes looking for advice about important decisions or life situations.”

So when the cries of your unwanted newborn get you down, make an appointment with your estranged college sweetie at the BSC to talk it over. Unfortunately, you have to bring the baby formula.