SPORTS BRIEF: Crimson men and women both clock in at fifth place through first day of Hectagonals

By The Crimson Staff

Through the first day of competition at the Heptagonal Championships in Philadelphia, the Harvard men’s and women’s track and field teams held steady in the fifth spot.

Five Crimson athletes qualified for Sunday’s finals. with the women’s team warranting four qualifiers. Senior captain Laura Maludzinski sought her second Heptagonal title in the 1,500-meter race, while freshman Dara Wilson earned her first appearance for the 100-meter hurdles. Senior Stevie DeGroff also qualified in the finals for her performance in the 100- and 200-meter dashes. Freshman Derek Jones represented the Harvard men in the 400-meter race.

Sophomore Lindsey Scherf took first in the 10,000-meter race, improving from last year’s second-place performance. Junior Julia Pederson earned second in the javelin with a throw of 143 feet, eight inches. Freshman Shannon Flahive was in fourth place after four events in the heptathlon.

On the men’s side, senior captain Travis Hughes gained fourth place with a long jump best of 23 feet, 3.25 inches. Senior Kevin Duffy also picked up a fourth-place finish in the javelin (201-08). The Crimson’s best hammer throw came from senior James Rhodes, who hurled the hammer 175-feet and seven inches. Sophomore Alex Obrecht earned sixth place in the shot put (48-11.75).

Results from the second day of the Heptagonal Championships were not available as of press time.

Track and Cross Country