School Spirit Fosters Loyalty, Not False Pride

By Michael J. Robin

To the editors:

Re “What’s Right with Harvard,” op-ed, June 7:

I fully agree with Dean of the Facuty William C. Kirby’s assertion that Harvard’s ability to evolve is one of its greatest assets. From the completion of the Curricular Review to the downsizing of the Undergraduate Council, this year has clearly shown the importance of constant evaluation and revision of the structures and institutions on which we build our Harvard education.

However, Kirby declares that “if we had as our goal that students know the words to the football songs, or even “Fair Harvard,” we’d be in trouble.” Kirby effectively asserts that “school spirit” precludes students from being able to critically analyze Harvard, and thus, prevents Harvard from evolving. I find this notion to be misguided. Spirit is not, as Kirby states, “false sentimentality”; rather, spirit helps create passion for Harvard. Crimson spirit can turn loyalty to Harvard into love of Harvard. An alumnus loyal to Harvard may donate money every year, but an alumnus in love with Harvard is most concerned with “what is best for Harvard.”

The football song “Up the Street” triumphantly declares, “And Harvard’s glory shall be our aim!” The most effective way to make Harvard evolve is to create a student body so enamored of Harvard that “Harvard’s glory [is their] aim”—and the most effective way to create such a passion for this university is through spirit.

MICHAEL J. ROBIN ’08

Cambridge, Mass.

June 9, 2006

The writer is a member of the Harvard Glee Club.