Roll Out, Roll Deep

By Tracy T. Moore

You’re here today, but you’ll be Harvard tomorrow. A Harvard grad, that is. A member of one of the most powerful alumni networks in the history of alumni networking. A person capable of detonating one of the most powerful bombs in the history of bomb detonating: the H bomb. An intellectual capable of making profound, circuitous statements with multiple clauses, numerous concessions, and several lists. Now, with the whole world at your fingertips, you must decide whether you should shoot it in a hoop, bowl it down a lane, hit it with a club, bounce it, squeeze it, or simply plant and nourish it. That is, you must decide how you will conduct yourself in the world as a Harvard alum.

As a Harvard alum, there are several ways for you to get involved. You can take the “passive aggressive approach” by sitting and complaining about what Harvard owes you because you paid more than $40,000 each year to attend this remarkable institution. Harvard obviously needed you. You didn’t need Harvard at all, nor will your life be any better for having attended this elite institution. You had roaches in your room, ate lunch next to mice, and are still confused why you had to pay anything at all to come here when Harvard’s endowment alone could fund several miniature planets. Stay pissed off, angry alum. In fact, renounce any affiliation with Harvard whatsoever, burn your diploma, call the registrar and have your records expunged from all Harvard databases, disconnect yourself from the Harvard alumni network, and remove the word “Harvard” from any documents that you own, including your resume. After all, Harvard never did anything for you.

Another approach is the “passive procrastination approach.” You are truly grateful that you came to Harvard. You realize that your time here was well-spent. Even though you didn’t have the perfect Harvard experience, you know that you have grown by being at Harvard. Currently, you figure that you will give back in the future, as long as it is possible. You might give back with your bank account. You might give back with your time, volunteering to do alumni interviews. You might give back by helping recruit the best talent for Harvard. The biggest problem with your intentions is the fact that they are just that, intentions. Your efforts are being delayed like a Continental Airlines flight. Do you think that Horace advised everyone “Carpe Diem!” for nothing?

The last approach is the best of all approaches. It’s the Johnnie Walker Blue Label of approaches, or the pocket rockets, Ace-10-10 on the flop, and another Ace on the turn. In any case, this approach involves your being active right now. You had a solid Harvard experience, and your sentiments regarding Harvard are probably much the same as those of the “passive procrastination” alums. You realize that you do not necessarily have much right now, but you do have something. (You might even have a few outstanding loans.) Whatever the case may be, you realize that it is important to start giving back to Harvard right now. You do not feel comfortable donating money at this time. That is fine. You do understand that your time is probably more valuable than money anyway. You volunteer to be an alumni interviewer. You yourself contact the Harvard Alumni Association and let them know how you would like to be involved as an alum going forward. You get in touch with the Harvard Club of whatever city you are residing in and participate in events. You wear the ‘H’ proudly in your daily life, actively recruit people for Harvard, and rap “Fight Fiercely, Harvard” from time to time. You take to heart the following words of Helen Keller: “I am one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.” You are a proud Harvard alum, and you are giving back right now because of your gratitude for the school and the principle of reciprocity.

Alum, you have either fond or bitter feelings toward Harvard. If you are of the former sort, please channel your positive energy into action. Ask not what Harvard can do for you, but what you can do for Harvard right now. If you are of the latter sort, I challenge you to ask yourself two things: Why do I possess these negative feelings toward Harvard? What do I like about Harvard?

However you feel, know that you will always have a home in Cambridge, Mass., and that you will always be a Harvard alum. Most importantly, please remember this statement even if you forget all others: the Harvard Class of 2006 rolls deep, but we can always roll deeper (roll deep: to travel and/or be with a significant number of people). Come join the ranks of the proud Harvard 2006 alums. Bonam fortunam!

Tracy T. Moore ’06, the first class marshal, is a classics concentrator in Dunster House.