The Harvard English Dictionary

Harvard professors and administrators have redefined several common English words this past year.

act-ing, adj. 1. American Heritage Dictionary: Temporarily assuming the duties or authority of another. 2. Harvard : Assuming the duties and authority of dean after University President Lawrence H. Summers has decided he wants to appoint you to the post permanently but before Summers has had time to convene a search committee to rubber-stamp his appointment: Summers named Alan A. Altshuler acting dean of the Graduate School of Design in July 2004 and permanent dean last February. Summers named Jay O. Light acting dean of the Business School last June and permanent dean this April. Summers named Kathleen McCartney acting dean of the Graduate School of Education last June and permanent dean this May.

re-sign, v. intr. 1. American Heritage Dictionary: To give up one’s job or office, especially by formal notification. 2. Harvard: To give up one’s job or office after being informally notified that you’re about to be fired: Faculty Dean William C. Kirby resigned in January; University President Lawrence H. Summers resigned the next month.

taw-dry, adj. 1. American Heritage Dictionary: Gaudy and cheap in nature or appearance. 2. Harvard: Very, very expensive: “The outcome of the tawdry Shleifer affair and the attending pecuniary loss to the University would have been unthinkable under the previous two presidencies....” (Farish A. Jenkins, Jr., Agassiz professor of zoology, at the Feb. 7 Faculty meeting.)