Hockey Coach To Head Under-22 US Team

By Jonathan Lehman, Crimson Staff Writer

While most Harvard affiliates are taking the summer off, Katey Stone—the head coach of the women’s hockey team—is taking a new summer job.

On Wednesday, USA Hockey named Stone coach of the U.S. Women’s National Under-22 Select Team. Stone will lead the country’s top players under the age of 22 through the Women’s National Festival in August, and from those hopefuls will select a roster of 20 to vie in a three-game series against the Canadian U-22 team in Ottawa between August 23 and 27.

The U-22 squad will likely be a collegiate all-star team, comprising the nation’s top young talents with whom Stone has acquainted herself while manning the bench at Bright Arena. And two players who skate in Crimson colors for Stone—rising senior Jennifer E. Sifers and rising junior Caitlin Cahow—are expected to make the USA cut.

Stone, who just finished her 12th season at the helm for the Crimson, brings an impressive resume into her new assignment. She is fourth all-time in Division I with 245 victories, against only 115 losses and 17 ties.

After steering Harvard to three straight NCAA finals, Stone ran into some difficulties this past year. She returned the team to the Frozen Four, but, lacking the services of three of her top players, the team fell in the first round to top-ranked New Hampshire.

—JONATHAN J. LEHMAN