Reduced Roster Raises Questions

With starting quarterback Liam O’Hagan suspended—and with other players either suspended or dismissed from the squad—Harvard will have to face Holy Cross with untested Chris Pizzotti at the helm.
By Madeleine I. Shapiro, Crimson Staff Writer

Tomorrow’s game will be more than just the season opener.

After an adversity-filled offseason, the Harvard football team will have to prove it remains a force to be reckoned with against Holy Cross (1-1) in the 12:30 game at Harvard Stadium.

Many thought the suspensions of two Crimson players after a shuttle bus altercation was enough drama, but three months, a quarterback, and a captain later, the team is forced to start new and inexperienced players in numerous positions.

Before the adversity, Harvard was picked to win the Ivy League title. Despite losing many high-caliber players to both graduation and suspension, the team is confident it will continue to play at the same level.

“Whatever our capabilities were before the adversity, I think they are still the same,” said senior running back Clifton Dawson. “I think all this adversity we’ve dealt with will only make us stronger.”

Although many questions remain about starting quarterback Chris Pizzotti and the strength of the offensive line, the Crusaders should not pose a big threat.

The Crimson has won the last four meetings and eight of nine, pulling out a 31-21 second-half victory in the 2005 game.

Yet no opponent can be taken lightly, especially after the 2005 season in which Cornell upset Harvard in a surprise 27-13 victory.

So the squad is preparing for a strong Holy Cross team.

“We probably don’t know as much as we would about a regular season opponent simply because they’ve played a couple games and we haven’t played one,” Crimson coach Tim Murphy said. “But from what we do know, they’re an improved football team [from] over a year ago, and I think the biggest difference is they seem to be playing much tougher defense, both physically and statistically.”

The Crusaders have a strong core in their returning players, including senior linebacker Dan Adams, who led the country with 97 solo tackles last year.

“Dan is a very good player,” said Holy Cross coach Tom Gilmore. “He’s picked up right where he left off. He’s actually a big key in stopping that rushing game Harvard has with Dawson. He’s a guy that has to do a good job of getting to the proper gap and making a good tackle when he gets there.”

Dawson seems to be the main threat in a weakened Harvard offense.

Entering the season with a career total of 3,628 rushing yards, the tailback stands just 1,087 short of the all-time Ivy rushing record held by Cornell graduate Ed Marinaro.

Despite these impressive numbers, Dawson claims the offense will remain pass-first.

“We have a lot of quality wide receivers, a bunch of all-Ivy caliber guys,” Dawson said. “I think that still is the strength of our offense. It may take one or two games to really get the passing game fluid and to where it needs to be, but I have no doubt in my mind that Pizzotti and the receivers can do a great job.”

On the other side of the ball, the Crimson will try to exploit a weakened Holy Cross offense.

After losing starting quarterback Dominic Randolph to a sprained ankle in the first game, junior Brian McSharry has filled in for the currently day-to-day sophomore.

But Gilmore claims the offense has not missed a beat.

“Brian started for us last weekend and threw for 83 percent—that’s pretty incredible for his first career start,” Gilmore said. “Brian is a very competitive player and contested for the starting spot in preseason camp. Dominic edged him out, but a lot of people would’ve thought that Brian would’ve edged Dominic out.”

Yet the graduation of eight starters will lead to an inexperienced offense taking the field Saturday.

At the tailback position, sophomores Mike Kielt and Terrance Gass had only one start between the two of them last season; Kielt saw time in nine games to Gass’s six.

In the bigger picture, the outcome of tomorrow’s game will likely depend on the ability to capitalize on turnovers and create big plays.

“Those are the two biggest factors you look to in a coaching game,” Gilmore said. “The team that wins the turnover battle and has more big plays is the team that wins the game, regardless of any other statistics.”

No matter what, Harvard has to go out and prove it has recovered from suspension and graduation. Otherwise, this will be just the beginning of a very long season.

—Staff writer Madeleine I. Shapiro can be reached at mshapiro@fas.harvard.edu.

Football