Despite Condescension, Harvard Carnival A Success

By Ajay G. Kumar

To the editors:

Re: “A Better Carnival,” comment, Sep. 18.

I’m not particularly sure what Harry Lewis would have thought of the Harvard Carnival. Nor do I care. I thoroughly enjoyed the evening, and almost everyone else I’ve spoken to agrees. Sure, it wasn’t a giant kegger, and sure, the line was too long for me to ride bumper cars. But whether it was “matriarchal coercion” or genuine interest, awkward and nerdy Harvard students came together in numbers that we only see once or twice a year to hang out with their friends, and, God forbid, enjoy themselves.

Call it state school envy, or call it a giant family reunion. I call it a great Friday evening introduction to the school year. I got to sit on the steps of Widener with more friends than would ever congregate in a dining hall and eat as many burgers as I wanted. The planners of Harvard Carnival should be applauded for all their efforts. I would hate to see less than enthusiastic comments in The Crimson taken by the College Events Board as a representation of the opinions of all the Harvard students who truly appreciated Friday’s events.

AJAY G. KUMAR ’08

September 19, 2006