Ice, Ice Cold Soda—and Not Much More

The term “tasting” alerts the eager foodie to the possibility that maybe, just maybe, there will be food. But those
By Francesca T. Gilberti

The term “tasting” alerts the eager foodie to the possibility that maybe, just maybe, there will be food. But those looking to please their palate at the Pub Grub Taste Test on Tuesday, Jan. 9th would have been severely disappointed. Practically no “tasting” occurred at all. Instead of an enticing gastronomic experience, students encountered ’Noch’s pizza and soft drinks.

Hanging from the wall of the newly renovated space in Loker Commons was a flat-screen TV showing surf and motor cross videos. “Ice, Ice Baby” boomed in the background. Students (mostly freshmen) sat at tables playing cards. “Just like the events last year, this was meant to give the students an opportunity to be a part of the planning process,” wrote event organizer Nate T. Picarsic ’07 in an e-mail.

In a reversal from the norm, it was the pizza that provided a greasy yet savory palate cleanser for the tasting’s main attraction: the soft drinks. Billed as a restaurant opening by ads on Annenburg tables, the event featured a potpourri of non-alcoholic stand-bys including Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, 7-Up, Red Bull, and their respective diet versions.

“I think they really misrepresented the event by calling it a tasting,” said pub-goer Sara A. Bartolino ’10.

Cranberry Juice and Triple Sec both made cameo appearances as the enthusiastic bartenders creatively mixed drinks. “I had high hopes and it’s a really great atmosphere but I’m kind of confused as to where the food is going to be served from,” taster Laurel T. Tainsh ’10 said.

Don’t worry if you missed out on the event: a trip to 7-Eleven and ’Noch’s would recreate the night.