Streakers, Band Ring In Sox Win

Students bring out brooms and jerseys to celebrate World Series title

Harvard University Band members perform Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” in the Square near the Harvard T stop.
By Mauricio A. Cruz, Crimson Staff Writer

Shortly after Boston Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon delivered his signature slider to strike out Seth Smith of the Colorado Rockies for the final out of the World Series last night, Harvard’s Red Sox faithful poured out of every crevice of the campus to join in on the festivities happening in the Square.

With the Harvard Band leading the way, Sox fans cheered their second World Series title in four years, proudly chanting the names of their icons and providing perhaps the loudest rendition of Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” ever heard on the cobblestone sidewalks of the Square.

After ushering in the first Red Sox title in 86 years as freshmen, this year’s graduating class has the distinction of starting and ending their Harvard tenure with Red Sox World Series championships.

“This is the perfect way to end my senior year,” said Marissa L. Long ’08.

“Freshman year was definitely exciting, especially since [as Boston fans] we had waited our entire lives to win,” she added. “But it’s still the same excitement now.”

The elation of the crowd was palpable as the victory chants from Sox fans reverberated throughout the Square and followed the frenzied crowd into the Yard.

With streakers on DeWolfe Street, champagne celebrations in Dunster courtyard, and the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) stationed around the Yard, the campus reflected scenes of excitement throughout the Boston area.

But not all spirits in the Yard were high. Some were skeptical about the size of the crowds and the magnitude of the celebrations.

“A true fan stands outside in the cold and suffers for his team,” said Beau C. Robicheaux ’08. “Whereas a bandwagon fan shows up in the ninth inning to pop the champagne.”

Nevertheless, the pride of the fans in attendance was obvious. As the revelry of the night reached its apex, Red Sox fans hoisted Papelbon’s jersey on the flagpole of University Hall.

“I’ve watched every pitch of the playoffs and haven’t done much work since the beginning of October,” said Jeffrey C. Holder ’09.

After staving off elimination against the Cleveland Indians to clinch the American League pennant and secure their place in the World Series, the Sox bounced back to sweep the Rockies in four games.

“Seeing the team come back [in their league championship series] and winning again makes it all worth it,” Holder said.

Despite the raucousness of the crowd, HUPD officers worked to maintain a safe atmosphere for the celebrants.

“We took some additional steps to restrict certain things, but everyone understands,” said HUPD officer Jack J. O’Kane. “As long as they aren’t doing anything wrong, they can have all the fun they want.”

—Maxwell L. Child, Clifford M. Marks, and Kevin Zhou contributed to the reporting of this story.

—Staff writer Mauricio A. Cruz can be reached at cruz2@fas.harvard.edu.