Amplify Magazine Debuts

Natasha S. Alford ’08, editor of the magazine Amplify, speaks at the launch event in the Women’s Center yesterday evening. Amplify magazine is a start-up publication that aims to shed light on gender inequality and sexual orientation.
By Maeve T. Wang, Contributing Writer

From the confessions of a pageant participant to articles exploring lesbian identities, a new journal on gender issues made its debut at a lively launch party yesterday.

The magazine, Amplify, is sponsored by the Harvard College Women’s Center. Editor-in-chief Natasha S. Alford ’08 said she thought of the project while an intern at the Women’s Center last year. She said she was struck by the dearth of campus publications focusing on women and gender instead of just touching upon the issues.

Alford said that many of the existing forums on gender issues are “already politicized.”

“There are already Students for Choice, and True Love Revolution, but you have to believe in what they believe in to get involved,” Alford said.

Funded by the Women’s Center, Amplify is a start-up publication that aims to shed light on the existence of controversial issues affecting student life such as gender inequality and sexual orientation. At the same time, members stress that Amplify is not necessarily intended to serve as a springboard for activism.

“We’re not trying to provide the answer,” Alford said about students who want to get involved in activism. “Through articles, people can figure out their own way to address gender issues.”

Amplify, she said, is about awareness. “Not everyone is going to be happy with the viewpoints expressed, but I emphasize respect,” Alford said.

Contributors expressed gratitude at being provided with a forum to air their thoughts.

“After three years of being at Harvard, I thought that I knew something about gender issues, but I really didn’t,” said Anesha P. Grant ’08 who wrote about women on the Undergraduate Council for this issue.

Through her involvement with Amplify, Grant said she has clarified her views on issues such as sexuality and identity.

“I think it’s more of a personal forum,” she said. It’s a way for me to figure out where I stand on issues like these.”

“It’s given gravity to experiences in my life,” said Katherine E. Smith ’10, a contributing writer whose article examines her “butch” appearance and others’ reactions to it.

“People make assumptions and I don’t have a problem with that, but my appearance gives me a fluidity with being around girls and guys,” she said.