A Model Tailgate

The outdoor revelry at Yale proved to be fun and safe

By The Crimson Staff

Harvard students in attendance at the game on Saturday had a lot to smile about. In addition to a Crimson demolition of the Bulldogs in the Yale Bowl, fans were treated to an enjoyable scene of food, drink, and fun outside of it at “The Tailgate.” And all the while the peace was maintained and there were apparently no alcohol-related hospital visits.

In short, this year’s tailgate represented a near perfect balance between fun and safety, and proved that such equilibrium can be struck without enforcement of Draconian policies. The tailgate was enjoyable largely because of an atmosphere of trust between law enforcement and students. No one was forced to be embarrassingly patted down and searched for liquids, and the police presence never feet hostile. Drinking and other forms of revelry were kept responsible, and police were able to do their job and make sure the situation never got out of hand.

At the same time, the police acted reactively if anyone crossed the line and became dangerous to themselves or others. Rules were enforced not simply for the sake of enforcing them, but police resources were spent addressing legitimate public concerns. In this respect, the police presence made the tailgate feel safe and friendly, which is the perfect recipe for a good time.

In Cambridge last year, the Boston Police Department and Harvard administrators organized the strictest Harvard-Yale tailgate in recent memory. Regulations and checkpoints were everywhere. Every last detail was proactively enforced. Students were not allowed to bring any liquids into the event area, and students over 21 were required to receive a wrist band in order to be able to purchase beer and spiked hot chocolate (a policy repeated at Yale’s “student village” but not at the entire tailgate).

Harvard and Boston need to take a good look at the philosophy of tailgating in New Haven and realize that a more pragmatic approach can be more effective for all parties involved. This year’s tailgate was a shining example of how large scale events can be fun and safe for undergraduates without resorting to authoritarian regulations. We hope, when the game returns to Cambridge next fall, we will be able to say the same of our own tailgate.