SPORTS BRIEF: W. Hoops' Hallion Named Co-Ivy Player of the Week

By Crimson Sports Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Two captains of two of the top contenders for the Ivy League title were rewarded for their early nonconference leadership, as the conference announced Harvard senior Lindsay Hallion and Princeton senior Meagan Cowher as co-Ivy League Players of the Week.

Hallion, who was also named The Crimson’s Athlete of the Week, led the Crimson to two wins and a title in last weekend’s Dead River Company Classic in Orono, Me. She shot 16-19 en route to 39 total points in Harvard’s wins over Maine and Hofstra, and was named the tournament MVP.

In the Crimson’s first game, a 82-78 victory over Maine, Hallion turned in an outstanding all-around performance, recording 20 points, five rebounds, four assists, three steals, and no turnovers. The next night, she added 19 points and five rebounds in the championship matchup against Hofstra.

Cowher turned in an equally-impressive performance for the Tigers, who won games against Lehigh and Lafeyette last week. The senior forward, daughter of former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher, recorded a double-double in each of Princeton’s games. She scored18 points and 11 rebounds in a win over Lehigh last Tuesday and added 32 points and 13 rebounds in a dominant performance in the Tigers’ 10-point loss to Lafayette on Saturday. Cowher’s double-doubles were the 15th and 16th of collegiate career.

Crimson freshman forward Emma Markley was named to the Ivy League Honor Roll for her performance last week. The rookie scored nine points on 4-for-6 shooting in just 11 minutes in Harvard’s victory over Maine. The points were Markley’s first of her collegiate career.

—CRIMSON SPORTS STAFF

Women's Basketball