Text Message Alert System Comes to Rescue for Boston’s MBTA Riders

By Lingbo Li, Contributing Writer

From fires to derailings to Odyssey-like tales of trips home, riders of the T have had interesting journeys with Boston’s lovable but occasionally tardy transportation system. But thanks to a new wireless notification service launched by the MBTA, called “T-Alerts,” 3,000 lucky riders began receiving text messages or e-mails yesterday alerting them to route delays.

“It will definitely be something that will benefit commuters of all ages and levels of work,” said MBTA spokeswoman Lydia M. Rivera, who added that the transit authority has been testing the system among its employees.

Rivera said that the users in the initial, limited launch were signed up on a first-come, first-served basis. Similar programs exist in New York City and Washington, D.C.

Jose A. Gomez-Ibanez, professor and chairman of the faculty at the Graduate School of Design, calls the new program a “great idea.”

“This has to be an improvement, as long as the information is reasonably accurate—that’s the key,” he said.

While the majority of riders interviewed hadn’t heard of the new program, most were receptive to the idea.

However, some said they barely use their cell phones, do not having text message capabilities, or do not have a cell phone at all.

“I’m too old to be text messaging,” Brookline resident Larry Cohen said.

Dorchester resident Carol Downs was also averse to the idea of receiving e-mail notifications.

“I have a computer [but] I get too much e-mail now. It really disturbs me. I like simple,” she said.

One daily rider, Steven Dougan, explained his roundabout path home during some delays. “I would go all the way to Lechmere to catch a train home,” he said. And a Braintree resident, Sue A. Gill, said she has even abandoned land travel altogether to avoid T delays.

“I [have] had to take the boat back home,” she said.