DAPA Sponsors Two-Day Rock Climbing Event

By Benjamin M. Jaffe, Contributing Writer

Over 160 people—from professional climbers to members of the Rugby team dressed in drag—crammed into Lowell basement on Friday and Saturday nights to partake in a free rock climbing event hosted by the Drug and Alcohol Peers Advisors (DAPA).

The organization, which reports to the Office of Alcohol and Other Drug Services, paid for students to climb for free in order to provide them with an alternative social activity.

“There’s a momentum to go and drink and do the normal party scene,” said Christopher F. Altchek ’09, the Cabot House DAPA representative. “We’re excited to push people in another direction that is more fun, healthy, and safe.”

Over 20 teams, composed of students from the Harvard Republican Club, the rugby team, the Kennedy School of Government, the Spee Club, and freshmen entry-ways, took part in the event’s climbing competitions.

Winners of the matches were given outdoors-themed prizes. Sporting goods companies including Eastern Mountain Sports, Patagonia, la Sportiva, and Five Ten donated $1,500 in prizes for the event, organizers said.

Keller C. Rinaudo ’09, who raised 45,000 dollars for the creation of the Lowell wall and organized its construction during the summer of 2006, said he wanted to create a social scene at Harvard that doesn’t revolve around drinking.

According to Rinaudo, the climbing wall has been very popular among students even before this event.

“The goal is to build community, so when I leave, there are still motivated people to take over,” said Rinaudo, who is also an officer of the Harvard Mountaineering Club. The wall is regularly open seven days a week from 5 to 11 p.m.

“It’s a great opportunity for the wall and DAPA to build awareness for both activities,” said Thomas J. Brennan ’10, adding that he would “definitely” like come back.

However, DAPA’s message was lost on some participants.

“I recommend that you get wasted and then climb,” said Jonathan P. Cummins ’11, dressed in a Wonder Woman outfit, provoking laughs from the other Rugby players dressed in drag.