House Masters Reopen The Quincy Cage; No Events Yet Planned For The Basement Arts Space

By J. nicole Anderson, Contributing Writer

Quincy House Masters Lee and Deborah J. Gehrke announced the re-opening of the Quincy Cage as an artistic space at the Quincy Community Dinner last week.

A popular rock show venue in the basement of New Quincy, the Quincy Cage closed last spring due to renovations to make the House more accessible.

Last year, the space was used exclusively for rock shows, according to former Cage Manager Siena T. Koncsol ’08.

“The only other venue for concerts like this is the Queen’s Head Pub, and even though it’s not far, it’s not the same as having it in Quincy,” Koncsol said. “The Cage had a sweaty underground indie rock scene feel that it will probably still have when it reopens. It’s just a very unique space.”

Both bands and fans were upset when the Cage locked its doors last semester.

Alexander W. Doubet ’10, President of the Harvard College Alliance of Rock and Roll, said the Cage was a great venue for small events.

“People were definitely bummed out about it closing,” Doubet said.

Changes made to New Quincy include the leveling of the JCR floor and the addition of an elevator to the dining hall, but the Cage did not undergo any major renovations other than a fresh coat of paint and the installation of a chain link fence, according to Quincy Building Manager Ronnie Levesque.

The Cage is only open for events approved by the House Masters and the new Quincy Cage Manager, Alexandria O. Eisenbarth ’09.

There are no events scheduled yet for the space.

While Eisenbarth said she thinks that there will still be “a ton of rock shows,” she envisions that the space could be used as a performance area for singing groups, plays, improv shows, or slam poetry.

“We’re trying to give the Cage new life,” she said.