At OCS, Classes To Help You Get a Life

Students will tackle radiators and ovens in free seminars

By Kevin Zhou, Crimson Staff Writer

You could be taking Applied Physics 295a, “Introduction to Quantum Theory of Solids.” Or you could try “Introduction to Repair and Maintenance and Fire Safety,” instead.

The latter is being offered on Feb. 22 in Adams House, part of a new series of free “Life Skills” classes sponsored by the Office of Career Services (OCS). You won’t get academic credit—nor will you use single electron approximation—but you will find out all about radiators.

“Think of it—most college students in this country do live off-campus and learn how to sign a lease, pay rent, cook, clean, and fix a leaky faucet sooner than most Harvard students do,” Julia G. Fox, assistant dean for life skills curriculum development at OCS, wrote in an e-mail.

Other classes offered include “Money Made Simple,” “Health Care After Harvard,” and “Cooking Skills for Clever Scholars.” Participants will learn how to cook their own meals, care for their cars, and operate their radiators. A full schedule of the classes is available under “For Students” at ocs.fas.harvard.edu.

In Adams House Dining Hall last night, several students agreed that while Yard Operations or the House superintendent may be around to fix a broken radiator today, the life skills offered up in the new OCS classes are important for the long run.

“Is it directly applicable to your life at Harvard? Probably not,” Loren Rabinowitz ’10 said after being told about the courses. “But I think it is a good idea for kids who come here and don’t know how to take care of themselves.”

The classes—which will be taught by experts including Harvard University Dining Services chefs, House building managers, and the “master technicians” from Fleet Management Services—will present the material in hands-on and seminar-style sessions, Fox said.

The classes will introduce students to real-life skills to be used in real-life situations.

“I think it could be helpful from a forward-looking perspective if people know that they’re going to be living on their own next year,” Tomas E. Mikuckis ’07 said in Adams dining hall.

The classes were launched in conjunction with other undergraduate programs established by the College.

“The Life Skills initiative is new this year, and complements efforts elsewhere in the College, such as with FRED and in the Financial Aid Office,” Fox wrote. The Freshman Residential Education Program (FRED) prepares first-years for life at Harvard.

-Staff writer Kevin Zhou can be reached at kzhou@fas.harvard.edu.