AOTW: Chu Leads in Three-Win Week

Senior captain Julie Chu added to her nation-leading 64 points (17 goals, 47 assists) with two goals and nine assists in her final three regular season games for the Crimson—wins over Northeastern, Yale and Brown.
By Dixon McPhillips, Contributing Writer

With the USA Hockey Foundation’s announcement of the top ten nominees for the 2007 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award came yet another addition to Harvard senior center Julie Chu’s long list of accomplishments.

Chu’s nomination for the coveted award, given each year to the most outstanding collegiate women’s hockey player, comes shortly after she made the preliminary roster for the U.S. women’s national team early last week.

Chu finished her senior season in fine form, figuring in 11 of the Crimson’s 16 goals in Harvard’s three-game week.

In the Crimson’s 8-0 rout of Northeastern last Tuesday in the consolation game of the Beanpot, Chu capitalized on a power play, scoring Harvard’s third goal late in the first period. Chu also executed four assists in the sound victory.

“We were really excited for the tremendous opportunity to play against one of the top teams in the nation,” Huskies head coach Laura Schuler said following the game. “And also play against some of the top players, not only in the nation, but in the world.”

Following the Beanpot, the Crimson faced two important games against tough conference opponents: Yale and Brown.

In Friday’s game against the Bulldogs, Chu clocked two helpers, including ones for Nora Sluzas’ game-tying goal and Jenny Brine’s heroic last-minute goal to win it, 4-3, in overtime.

“Chu said, ‘Expect a little wrister coming in at you, just get something on net.’ And it was perfect,” Brine said. “It hit my leg and went in.”

Following the hard-fought overtime victory, Harvard had a quick turnaround, playing again the next day at home against Brown.

“We had a great game [Friday] coming back from behind and [Saturday] we wanted to really set the tone,” Chu said.

And set the tone they did. In the season finale against the Bears, the Crimson didn’t look back after getting off to a 1-0 lead late in the first period. Chu was a part of all four goals Harvard scored in its 4-0 shutout of Brown.

“I guess I didn’t realize I was,” Chu said humbly, breaking into a huge smile. “We focus on how the team is performing, how we’re playing, the effort level, and that was our biggest focus there.”

Chu, who was also named this week’s ECAC player of the week, finished the season leading the NCAA with 64 points—17 goals and 47 assists. She also holds the Harvard record for most career assists, with 195.

Following the Yale game, Harvard coach Katey Stone broke from her interview to congratulate a passing Chu.

“Good job, Chuey,” Stone said.

“Good job” seems understated. Chu’s illustrious career includes seven years on the U.S. National Team, two Olympic Games, and three World Championships. She leads the nation with 2.46 points per game and 1.81 assists per game.

On March 5, the USA Hockey Foundation will narrow their nominees for the Kazmaier Award down to three. Other finalists for the prize include Harvard teammate sophomore Sarah Vaillancourt, as well as two from Wisconsin and one each from Mercyhurst, Dartmouth, Ohio State, New Hampshire, St. Lawrence, and Minnesota-Duluth.

Chu takes the home ice for the last time this weekend in a rematch against the Bulldogs for the quarterfinals of the ECAC tournament.

Women's Ice Hockey