You say you want a revolution? Well, we just want some ice cream.

'Not Tonight Honey, I have a Brain Freeze:' Abstinence Group Talks Ice Cream

Is chocolate really better than sex? The students who gathered at True Love Revolution’s ice cream bash must think so.
By Eliza L. Gray

The co-president of the Revolution, Sarah M. Kinsella ’07, moved earnestly around the Tonkens Room in Winthrop House. Her classic pearl earrings matched the string of pearls around her neck, off-setting a casual outfit of jeans and a burgundy corduroy blazer. She smiled warmly, apologizing for having an ice cream social on such a cold day. “We planned this so long ago, it seemed like a good idea,” Kinsella said.

Attendees extended warm welcomes to strangers, and kept the conversation light, asking the usual trifecta: Concentration? House? Year? After a few minutes of genuine politeness, the True Lovers regressed into taking good-natured cracks at each other and making inside jokes that were hard to follow.

In fact, abstinence was not even mentioned and aside from the hot pink flyers listing ten reasons to wait, it could have been mistaken for a real party. More than anything else, it was a gathering of friends looking for an excuse to hang out and eat some dessert.

True to their word, the True Love Revolutionaries were not trying to convince anyone to commit to their sexless values. They were simply providing a social venue for people with a similar lifestyle.

As it turns out, this sex-free shindig was a lot less awkward than having to make that long trek home from the Yard wearing nothing but a short skirt and stilettos.