Giving It All

We should not forget that we can donate blood, organs, and bone marrow

By The Crimson Staff

Both outside and within the Harvard bubble, patients’ lives depend on blood, bone marrow, and organ donations. Unfortunately, the supply of these donations doesn’t keep up with their demand; while only a small number of individuals make the choice to donate, many will accept such donations when their own lives are at stake. It’s easy to be complacent until forced to take notice.

Every three seconds, someone needs a blood transfusion, and each day about 35,000 pints of donated blood are used. Because blood lasts only about 40 days, doctors and patients depend on a steady supply from donors—a supply that sometimes runs short, especially during national disasters, summer, and the winter holidays. Donating blood at Harvard is relatively easy; the college hosts four blood drives a year at which students can come in, get a quick physical examination, give blood, eat snacks, and leave, all within an hour or two.

Bone marrow transplants, however, require a bone marrow match, which can be extremely difficult to find. Patients and donors must have the same human leukocyte antigens (HLAs); otherwise, the patient’s body may reject the donated marrow. While in 25 to 30 percent of cases, the patient will have a family member whose marrow is compatible, in 70 to 75 percent of the cases—thousands of patients annually—the patient will need marrow from a stranger. Sam Cross, for example, is of half-Asian, half-Eastern European heritage; his singular heritage makes finding a match for him a challenge. [See correction below]

The National Marrow Donor Program registry tests healthy individuals for their bone marrow type and sometimes matches them with sick patients. In order to register, potential donors must get an HLA test, which costs over 50 dollars, a cost that seems prohibitively high. The government subsidizes testing costs for certain minority groups, some health insurance policies cover HLA testing, and the families of the sick often offer to pay the cost of potential donors’ tests, as Cross’ family has done. But, in order to encourage more widespread HLA testing and potentially save many lives, we hope that the U.S. government will consider subsidizing testing costs not only for ethnic minorities, but for all citizens.

Lives are also lost due to a shortage of organs available for transplant. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, each day about 77 people receive hearts, lungs, livers, kidneys, and more—but 19 others die waiting for an organ that never comes. The average national waiting time for a heart is 230 days. Other vital organs take longer. Unfortunately, when an organ transplant is required, time is often of the essence.

Choosing to be an organ donor, however, is comparatively simple. Individuals usually register to be organ donors by filling out a few forms at their state Department of Motor Vehicles. This can be a difficult and emotional decision, so individuals who want to be organ donors should discuss their decision with loved ones.

On campus and beyond, Harvard is seeking a bone marrow match for Sam Cross. But there are millions of other Sam Crosses out there. Students who today are blessed with the good health that makes donating an option—students who may someday themselves need donations from those who are young and healthy—should not let the hustle and bustle of daily life let them forget about the opportunity to give blood, get HLA tested, and register as organ donors. It’s saving lives, made easy.

Correction: Last Thursday's editorial "Giving It All" incorrectly stated that Samuel R. Cross '07 is of half-Asian, half-Eastern European heritage. In fact, he is of half-Asian, half-Western European heritage. The Crimson regrets this error.