Harvard Graduates in the Environmental Struggle

Lester R. Brown MPA ’62 In 1974 Brown founded the Worldwatch Institute, the first research institute devoted to the analysis
By FM Staff

Lester R. Brown MPA ’62

In 1974 Brown founded the Worldwatch Institute, the first research institute devoted to the analysis of global environmental issues. He then launched the Worldwatch Papers, the annual State of the World reports, World Watch magazine, a second annual publication called Vital Signs: The Trends That Are Shaping Our Future, and the Environmental Alert book series. In 2001, he founded the Earth Policy Institute to promote environmental sustainability.

Laurance Rockefeller HLS ’34

As an advisor to several U.S. presidents, Rockefeller dealt with issues concerning ecology and environmental preservation. He founded the American Conservation Association, and funded the expansion of Grand Teton National Park. In 1991, Rockefeller was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal for his effots. In 1992 he and his wife donated their Vermont home to the National Park Service; it was later turned into the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park, a museum dedicated to the history of environmental conservation. Rockefeller died in 2004.

Juan Carlos Navarro MPP ’85

As the mayor of Panama City since 2001, Navarro has been hailed by CNN and TIME magazine as one of Latin America’s most promising leaders for the new millennium. He has served as the environmental ambassador for Panama, and is the youngest member to ever be elected regional councilor for Latin America for the World Conservation Union.