SPORTS BRIEF: Foil fencer Pensler earns NCAA at-large bid, joins bid for repeat title

By Madeleine I. Shapiro, Crimson Staff Writer

The 2006 national champion Harvard fencing team received a boost in its efforts to repeat late Tuesday night. The NCAA selection committee announced freshman foil fencer Arielle Pensler will be joining nine members of the Crimson in Madison N.J., March 22-25 to vie for the name of top squad in the country.

The other fencers received entries into the championship competition through finishing in the top eight in their respective weapons last weekend at the regional meet.

These included saber fencers Tim Hagamen, Dan Sachs, and Alexa Weingarden; foil fencers Kai Itameri-Kinter, Enoch Woodhouse, and Misha Goldfeder; and epee fencers Teddy Sherill, Jasmine McGlade, and Maria Larsson.

Tuesday the NCAA provided another twelve fencers throughout the country with at-large bids into the competition, two for each weapon in both men’s and women’s. Pensler received the top at-large bid in the women’s foil.

Although this gives Harvard a slightly better chance at achieving a second title, given the strength of the squads with 12-man rosters—St. John’s, Columbia, and Penn State—it is likely the Crimson fencers will be competing for individual rather than team titles.

Junior captain and saber fencer Samantha Parker was also hoping to have her name added to the list of national competitors, but will have to wait another year.

—MADELEINE I. SHAPIRO

Fencing