Men's Volleyball Powers Past Sacred Heart at Lavietes

Senior middle hitter Andy Nelson dropped in seven service aces and accounted for a game-high 16.5 points in Harvard’s 3-0 victory over Hay Division rival Sacred Heart at Lavietes Pavilion on Saturday. The Crimson hit .688 in the third game, streaking to a
By Courtney D. Skinner, Crimson Staff Writer

Breaking its two-match losing streak, the Harvard men’s volleyball team (8-5, 4-5 Hay) proved it still had heart as it handily defeated the Pioneers, 3-0 (30-23, 30-27, 30-16), Saturday at Lavietes Pavilion.

The Crimson’s sweep of Sacred Heart (5-10, 0-7) boosted its home record to 6-2 and was its first at the Pavilion, where it will continue to play its home games as a result of renovations at the Malkin Athletic Center.

“We came in expecting 3-0 today, and we got what we expected,” Harvard coach Chris Ridolfi said. “Fifteen service errors is probably bad in three games, but take those errors away, and we’re happy with how we were—very efficient.”

Senior Andy Nelson slammed down two aces in the first three points of the match, giving Harvard a 2-1 lead that the Pioneers would never overcome.

The Crimson went on a 9-4 run, taking an eight-point lead over Sacred Heart, 16-8. The Pioneers narrowed the gap to five points but failed to take the game, as Harvard came out on top, 30-23.

Although the Crimson ultimately overpowered Sacred Heart, the second game was much closer.

“They slowed us down with the pace of the game in the second game,” Ridolfi said. “We don’t usually play as slow as they were forcing us to play, but it was nice to play at their speed and beat that.”

Both teams exchanged points as each one tried to establish a clear lead, tying the score 21 times overall.

Junior Jordan Weitzen hammered a kill, to tie the score at 22. Nelson served up an ace, which was followed by a Pioneer attack error, giving Harvard a two-point lead, 24-22.

Sophomore Brady Weissbourd smashed another kill to bring the score to 29-25, and Favrot’s final hit ended the game, 30-27.

“Last time when we played them, it was a five-game match, but whenever we played our game at our pace, passing and hitting, we beat them,” co-captain Dave Fitz said. “We knew that if we played at our pace and pushed the tempo with our tempo, they wouldn’t have a chance.”

In the third game, it was no question who was in control. Harvard took a 3-0 lead with Nelson serving, and after trading points until the score was 8-6, the Crimson racked up a 9-2 run, leaving the Pioneers in the dust, 17-8.

Harvard maintained a solid lead, hitting .688 compared to Sacred Heart’s .091, as Weitzen slammed down a kill for a 29-14 lead and junior Jamie Crooks finished off the match with a kill of his own.

“I was really happy with that third game,” Fitz said. “There was one point when I was talking to Andy and all the seniors on the bench, and we looked out and said, ‘This is going to be the future, and they’re playing great.’”

—Staff writer Courtney D. Skinner can be reached at cskinner@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Volleyball