Thinking About Oxford Choice Is Very Good Advice

By Chelsea Purvis

To the editors:

Like Melissa L. Dell and Swati Mylavarapu (“Oxford Blues,” oped, Feb 25), I’m a Rhodes Scholar currently studying at Oxford. I remember as a Yale junior being so enchanted by the prospect of winning a Rhodes that it was tempting not to consider whether Oxford was right for me. Nevertheless, I put in the hours of thought and research needed to make the best decision I could about how I should spend the next two years. In making my decision to apply, I considered advice from Rhodes alums, Oxford instructors, Yale teachers and mentors, and my family and friends. In the end, though, it was my choice to apply. Had I found Oxford a mismatch for me, it would be unfair to blame those who had given me advice simply because they could not magically predict whether I’d be happy in grad school.

As it turns out, Oxford and I are a great match. At Oxford I’ve found an experience different, unsurprisingly, than my undergraduate one. But I’ve been very impressed by my college and my department. Oxford campus life is fun and fulfilling, and England is a charming and accommodating home. At Oxford I feel lucky to be in a community of so many remarkable international graduate students, including the incredible non-American Rhodes Scholars.

The authors of “Oxford Blues” are right when they advise Harvard juniors to think before applying to the Rhodes—but don’t do so because you mistakenly believe, based on the tone and one-sidedness of that article, that Cantabs are too good for another country or another university. Do it because you acknowledge that Oxford and the Rhodes are a great match for many, but another option might be a better match for you.

CHELSEA PURVIS

Oxford, United Kingdom

February 27, 2007

The writer is currently Rhodes Scholar at Merton College, Oxford.