SPORTS BRIEF: All-American O’Connor named EIWA Rookie of the Year by coaches

By The Crimson Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Freshman wrestler J.P. O’Connor, already named Ivy League co-rookie of the year, was named yesterday as EIWA freshman of the year by the league’s coaches.

O’Connor finished his rookie campaign with a 37-8 record, including a fifth-place finish in the NCAA Championships in the 149 weight class, as well as a second-place finish at the EIWA championships in the same division.

His fifth-place NCAA performance also earned him all-Americn status. It was the best nationals placing by a Harvard freshman in school history, and O’Connor also had the highest finish among this season’s Crimson contenders at the NCAA tournament. Being named all-American made him the only freshman in Harvard history to earn that status.

Sophomore Louis Caputo, who wrestled in the 184 weight class, and senior Max Meltzer from the 141 weight class joined O’Connor on the all-American list.

O’Connor is the third Crimson wrestler to be named EIWA rookie of the year, and the first since current senior heavyweight Bode Ogunwole in 2004. Before that, Max Odom ‘04 won the award in 2000.

Wrestling