Police Log

By Yelena S. Mironova, Crimson Staff Writer

Feb. 4

3:02 a.m.—A Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) guard was dispatched to a report of a group being loud on the Harkness Commons skating ring at 14 Everett Street in Cambridge. The individuals were sent on their way.

11:58 p.m.—Officers were dispatched to a report of a suspicious item in the Blackstone Steam Plant Complex at 46 Blackstone Street in Cambridge. The officers reported that the item appeared to be road flares wrapped in tape and rope that were lying on the ground near the loading dock. The Cambridge bomb squad arrived and determined that the item was indeed suspicious and therefore X-rayed the item. The bomb squad reported that the item was wiring. Harvard University’s Facilities Maintenance Operations confirmed that the item was wiring for a motor that was being installed for a gate and all was in order.

Feb. 5

10:35 a.m.—An officer was dispatched to 1 Western Avenue in Allston to take a report of four stolen black Dell laptop computers and carrying cases valued at $8,000.

Feb. 6

10:34 a.m.—An officer was dispatched to the Gordon Track Center at 55 N. Harvard Street in Boston to take a report of a stolen Juggs Super softball pitching machine valued at $1,500.

Feb. 7

10:22 a.m.—An officer was dispatched to the Harvard University News Office at 1350 Massachusetts Avenue in Cambridge to take a report of a stolen, unattended, black Donke camera bag valued at $75 that contained a Canon EOS 20D camera valued at $1,330, a Canon EOS camera lens valued at $370 and a Canon EOS camera lens valued at $800. There were no suspicious individuals seen in the area at the time of the theft.

Feb. 8

1:32 p.m.—An officer took a report of an individual receiving annoying phone calls at the Bureau of Study Council, 5 Linden Street in Cambridge.

7:52 p.m.—An officer was dispatched to take a report of ninety chocolate cakes valued at $1,700 that were stolen from Holyoke Center at 1350 Massachusetts Avenue in Cambridge.

Feb. 9

2:38 a.m.—An officer was dispatched to take report of an assault at Dunster Street in Cambridge. The officer arrived and spoke to the victim who stated that while walking in the area an unknown individual crossed their path and started making hand gestures about the reporting party being in their way. The reporting party stated that the unknown individual punched them in the mouth with a closed fist and then fled the area. Due to the injuries from the assault the victim was transported to a medical facility.

6:59 p.m.—An officer was dispatched to take a report of a theft at the New Research Building at 77 Louis Pasteur Avenue in Boston. An officer arrived and spoke to the reporting party who stated that they left the area and upon returning discovered their silver Macintosh laptop computer and black carrying case stolen. The reporting party also stated that located in the carrying case was their black Coach wallet that contained various credit cards and $200 cash. At 7:15pm a black carrying case was located in the bathro om. The reporting party stated that the items were there and all that was missing was the laptop computer and $200 cash. The value of the laptop is unknown at this time.

Feb. 11

1:31 a.m.—Officers were dispatched to a report of three individuals fighting near Johnston Gate. Officers arrived and spoke to the individuals who stated that everything was fine and they were just playing around.

4:22 a.m.—An officer was dispatched to a report of white powder on the sixth floor of Quincy House A. The officer arrived and reported the powder was just laundry soap and it was located outside the laundry room.

—Staff writer Jamison A. Hill can be reached at jahill@fas.harvard.edu.