Peacing Out

Above the bed of Kathryn G. Maxson ’10 hang authentic-looking replicas of the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution.
By Jessica M. Luna

Above the bed of Kathryn G. Maxson ’10 hang authentic-looking replicas of the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. Maxson originally entered Harvard planning to become a history concentrator. Like many freshmen, she’s changed her mind and now plans to pursue math or science. But unlike most freshmen, Maxson plans to pursue these interests somewhere other than Harvard—at Duke University.

As her roommates discuss blocking and their hopes for houses next year, Maxson eagerly awaits the decision on her transfer application to Duke, a place she calls a second home.

“My parents are both graduates of Duke,” she says. “I grew up with Duke. I love Harvard, but I grew up as a Duke basketball fan.”

With unbeatable name recognition and a highly selective 9.3 percent acceptance rate, once a student gets into Harvard, it might seem unfathomable and even unwise to leave these Ivy gates for another school. But for some, a great name provides a lousy reason to remain in Harvard Yard.

Coordinator of Transfer Admissions Sage M. Suorsa suggests that variety of course selection and particular departmental strengths are often cited as reasons for transferring. Transfer applications reinforce this, since they require a student to explain why their current school is a poor academic fit.

Yet for the Harvard transfers, it wasn’t Harvard’s academic character that pushed them out, but the ultra-competitive Harvard environment.

BLINDED BY THE BRAND?

Tracking down yearly figures for outgoing transfers from Harvard is tough.

“Home institutions rarely know when their students transfer to other schools. We only know that they have not (yet) completed a degree here,” Associate Dean of Academic Advising Monique Rinere writes in an e-mail. But while it’s hard to get exact numbers, a small number of Harvard students definitely do transfer out.

Celia E. Durkin, originally class of 2008 and now a junior at Stanford says she felt drawn by the power of the Harvard name. “What drew me to it was it’s amazing reputation,” says Durkin. “I couldn’t really turn it down.”

But Harvard’s transfers find that a good academic reputation is not necessarily a reliable indicator of an enjoyable college experience.

A former undergraduate student who transferred from Harvard to Stanford in 1998, right after his freshman year said his woes were related to Harvard's social life, namely what he saw as the weak dorm and house community here.

Graduate student proctors “are essentially there to get free housing,” says the anonymous student. “They don’t really care about building community as a dorm...At Stanford there was a really huge emphasis on people getting to know each other.”

Maxson cites “emotional ties” to Duke and “personal reasons” as her main justifications for applying to transfer there. Her boyfriend of almost eight months goes to Duke, and she calls herself “a total Dukie.”

“I spent the first seventeen and a half years of my life thinking I was going to Duke,” Maxson says. “It’s something that’s always been real familiar to me.”

GO WEST, YOUNG MAN

And if Harvard’s environment is unwelcoming, Cambridge’s winter weather ices the deal.

Durkin was deciding between Harvard and Stanford during her senior year of high school. Originally from Los Angeles, she says living on the West Coast left her searching for adventure.

“I really liked Boston, and I really wanted a different experience from California,” says Durkin.

Midway through freshman year, Durkin found the adjustment difficult, and after spring break decided to look into transferring to Stanford.

“I was depressed over there, to be honest,” says Durkin. “I think that I didn’t like the weather.”

Shawn L. Abbott, Stanford director of admission, admits that “in a very subtle way” differences in weather can influence a student’s happiness, but doesn’t find it to be a deciding factor.

“I highly doubt a superficial characteristic like temperature plays a significant role in a student’s ultimate college selection,” he says.

WE DON’T DO ‘MODESTY’

Although Harvard students and faculty might find nothing wrong with thinking of Harvard as the best there is, the transfers were turned off by its self-congratulatory nature.

“I think there’s a huge amount of arrogance at Harvard,” says the anonymous former undergraduate. “I remember...talking to a dean about transferring. One of the things she told me [was] ‘Well, you know, a Harvard diploma is just not something you want to throw away.’”

Zachary M. Puchtel ’07 transferred to the University of Minnesota after his junior year at Harvard and spent two years as a Golden Gopher, playing for a Big Ten basketball program. He’s now back at Harvard and insists that he loves it.

Asked if there was anything he didn’t like about Harvard, Puchtel is silent for a few moments, playing with the tab from his coffee lid.

“I don’t like the entitled feeling that goes along with being here,” he says slowly. “It’s not with everyone, but some people feel as though the world should just come to them.”

The arrogance of Harvard students can translate into a stressed and unhappy student body.

Maxson finds the student body at Duke somewhat more genial. “I just think in general, they’re a little more well-rounded at Duke, a tad more laid back,” Maxson says.

Durkin echoes the sentiment, saying “Most of the students at Stanford are very, very happy. It’s hard not to be happy here.”

THE FAITHFUL DEPARTED

Although a small minority of incoming students find Harvard isn’t their true fit, they don’t immediately forget their years in Crimson. Durkin says she never regretted going to Harvard.

Despite what first led them to accept the College’s oft-coveted offer of admission, these students’ times in the Yard didn’t quite live up to their expectations. Pursuing happiness elsewhere, they gave up Cambridge weather and Harvard competition in favor of a more positive, less stressful environment. For some, it seems, getting out of Harvard is better than getting in.

Editor's note: This article has been edited to remove the name of one commenter who requested anonymity.