Diversity & Distinction’s Portrayal Was Inaccurate

By Frankie Chen, Dina B. Mishra, and Stefanie L. Plant

To the editors:

We are writing as board members and alumni of Harvard’s Diversity & Distinction (D&D) magazine to express our extreme disappointment at the inaccurate depiction of our publication in the Crimson’s recent article, “Groups on the Brink.” The article overlooked Diversity & Distinction’s many accomplishments, instead portraying a misleadingly negative picture of the publication’s financial status. In so doing, the author missed an opportunity to tell the truth: that Diversity & Distinction provides an inspiring success story of a student organization that has overcome financial challenges and established a successful, sustainable publication. After accumulating some debt in its early history, D&D made a remarkable recovery in the past five years, due mostly to the tireless efforts of its Board and members.

During our time with D&D, we have provided a common ground for the Harvard community to engage in substantive dialogue on issues of ethnicity, race, religion, gender, sexuality, class, and ability. D&D has consistently provided powerful, well-researched articles, and beautiful photographs and design. As a testament to the magazine’s success, D&D was awarded the honor of “Best Publication” in 2003 and “Best Coverage of Race Issues” in 2005 by the Independent Press Association’s Campus Alternative Journalism Awards, which recognized our “sophisticated cultural analysis.” In addition to producing issues, D&D has encouraged greater campus discussion on issues of identity and multiculturalism by hosting panel discussions, photo exhibits, film screenings, and release events. How have we been able to finance these activities? Each year, D&D raises nearly $10,000 through grants from the Harvard Foundation, the Undergraduate Council, the Office of the Arts, and the Ann Radcliffe Trust; and through advertising revenue from local and national businesses with which we have established lasting relationships.

D&D is a nationally acclaimed publication that plays a vital role on our campus. It is not, in any sense, an “endangered Harvard species.” The Crimson owes a retraction and an apology to Diversity & Distinction for its gross misrepresentation of a successful student publication and its financial status. We hope that in the future, your writers will take greater care to distinguish the past from the present, and to refrain from inaccurate and damaging statements about student organizations on the Harvard campus. While the article is yours to write, the truth is not yours to rewrite.

The writers were D&D Editor-in-Chief 2006-2007, 2004-2005, and D&D Business Manager 2003-2004, respectively.