SPORTS BRIEF: Men’s tennis just misses out on Ivy crown after dominating Dartmouth

By Jonathan B. Steinman, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard men’s tennis team pushed its season record over .500 for the first time last night with a 4-3 win over Dartmouth in its final match of the season. With the victory, the Crimson moved to 5-2 in the Ivy League and 9-8 overall, finishing just one win short of a tie for first place with co-champions Columbia and Penn.

Harvard secured last night’s contest early, winning doubles matches at No. 2 and No. 3 for the doubles’ point in addition to winning three singles matches at No. 1, No. 3, and No. 5.

Co-captain Gideon Valkin, playing at No. 3, rounded out his collegiate career with his 11th straight singles win,

“When Gid came on, it was lights on, lights off,” sophomore Chris Clayton said. “He went out with a bang.”

Playing at No. 1, Clayton stormed through his final contest of the season, winning 6-1, 6-4 to set a positive tone for the years to come.

“We had a losing season last year, a winning season this year, and we’ll win the championship next year and the year after that,” Clayton said.

Harvard’s three losses came at No. 2, 4, and 6. Junior Dan Nguyen lost at No. 2 6-4, 6-3, junior Ashwin Kumar at lost at No. 4 4-6,6-3,7-6(3), and freshman Michael Hayes lost at No. 6 6-3, 6-4.

A stress fracture in his foot sidelined co-captain Scott Denenberg in his final collegiate match.

—JONATHAN B. STEINMAN

Men's Tennis