University Gives Out Nalgenes, Information

By Raviv Murciano-goroff and Shoshana S. Tell, Crimson Staff Writerss

Harvard conducted its second annual survey of drinking habits in Hemenway Gym on Friday, passing out free Nalgenes, highlighters, Post-Its, and lip balm to student participants as part of a long-standing College campaign to curb “high-risk” drinking among undergraduates.

The survey, in its second year at Harvard, collected information about alcohol consumption from 730 students across the University, according to Harvard’s resident “alcohol czar,” Ryan M. Travia, the director of the office of alcohol and other drug services.

Travia said the program, funded by a two-year $200,000 grant from the Department of Education, will pool the data, ultimately generating a report concerning student alcohol use.

He said that next year the program will be funded entirely by University Health Services. He declined to specify the cost of the program or when the report would be released.

On Friday, students filled out a one-page survey, which included questions such as how many drinks the respondent typically indulges in over the course of a night. After completing the questionnaire, students participated in individual consultations with members of the Bureau of Study Counsel and UHS, in which they discussed their responses.

Participating undergraduates said they were pleased with the event, though some who abstain from alcohol said that they didn’t find the individual sessions particularly informative.

“I personally don’t drink a lot, so they told me stuff I know,” said attendee Chimdimnma “Chi Chi” C. Esimai ’08.

Last year, only athletes participated in the program. Their responses, though anonymous, were grouped by team and released to the coaches, allowing the coaches to monitor their team’s behavior, Travia said. About 525 people participated and the team with the most attendance won a prize, he added.

Clinician Heidi J. Schlehlein, who works in the Care Coordination Department at UHS, said she was pleased with the high turnout, considering the bad weather.

“I’m surprised how many students are coming,” Schlehlein said.

Drug and Alcohol Peer Advisors (DAPAs), sporting trendy new baby blue hoodies, rewarded participants with a new Nalgene adorned with Harvard drinking statistics on the back.

“The most popular option is what we’re going to call the glacier—a combination of sapphire blue and the white cap,” DAPA Steven A. Strott ’07 said, referring to the smorgasbord of bottle and cap colors.

“It’s been a hard decision for a lot of people,” added DAPA Amy R. Tao ’07, who manned the Nalgene table.

—Staff writer Shoshana S. Tell can be reached at stell@fas.harvard.edu