A Reagan-Era Restoration

The HRDC mixes 1980s and 1700s in ‘The Way of the World’

By John D. Selig, Contributing Writer

A change of setting is a time-honored way to make classic plays seem fresh. But even though this trick has been done countless times before, this weekend’s production of “The Way of the World” might shock some with the unlikeliness of its juxtaposition—this Restoration comedy has been painstakingly uprooted and set down in the middle of the 1980s.

Mary E. Birnbaum ’07 directs William Congreve’s most famous play, going up in the Loeb Mainstage on April 27 and playing during Arts First weekend. But it won’t be your standard classical fare: using Reagan-era music, neon lights, and loads of paint, Birnbaum’s vision attempts to give an old story new life.

A dark comedy, the story follows the rakish “Mr. Mirabell” (J. Jack Cutmore-Scott ’10) as he trys to balance love, lust and money. He desires Mrs. Millament (Olga I. Zhulina ’10), but also desires the fortune of her aunt, Lady Wishferit (Alison H. Rich ’09).

The bawdy play unfolds with Mirabell trying to balance this sticky situation, and it quickly erupts into deceit, trickery, and very tangled interpersonal webs. Meanwhile the audience sees the characters become literally stained and tainted through visual direction from Birnbaum.

But why use the ’80s as a frame for a play from the 18th century?

“It’s apolitical, and amoral,” says Benjamin M. Poppel ’09, one of the two executive producers. “It’s about people manipulating the situation and looking out for number one.”

Restoration drama as a genre appeared following the reign of Oliver Cromwell, and after the restrictions imposed by the Puritan government—such as those on drama—were lifted.

“Everything was restricted. Afterwards, the drama was written as a celebration of the return of freedom. This parallels the ’80s,” says Poppel.

The genre as a whole uses parody and a touch of flamboyance to tell its story, and is notorious for its sexual explicitness.

As it was written, “The Way of the World” consists of five acts; although Birnbaum chose to cut an hour of text from the play in order to make it more digestible for today’s audience.

“It’s a very literary and complex play, and people have a hard time following it,” Birnbaum says.

Still, the production staff thinks audiences will understand it.

“It’s kinda like ‘Survivor,’ but with more sex,” jokes Poppel. “And more elegance.”

The show is also the Loeb Mainstage debut for many, including some veterans of the Harvard Radcliffe Drama Club (HRDC).

“It’s a very generational piece for the HRDC.” Poppel explains. “Lots of freshmen and sophomores are getting their Mainstage debut, while it’s Mary’s last show. And Aidin’s too—this is kind of her going out of business extravaganza,” referring to Aidin E. W. Carey, ’07, light designer.

At least among the HRDC, there’s a good amount of buzz circulating about “The Way of the World,” the staff says.

With tag lines like “Fidelity is so last season,” and “Paint the town,” the production sets high expectations for itself—but the staff promises to deliver.

“It’s been nothing but fantastic. We have a spectacularly talented cast,” Birnbaum says. “Our only difficulty has been getting restoration wigs.”

“The Way of The World” will play on May 2, 3, 4 and 5 at 8:00 p.m., and May 5 at 2:00 p.m.