Hughes To Come to Harvard

Olympic competitor Emily Hughes to hit the books in Harvard Yard next year

By Guillian H. Helm, Contributing Writer

Nationally ranked figure skater Emily Hughes is headed to Harvard this fall as a member of the Class of 2011.

Hughes, who won the silver medal in the 2007 U.S. National figure skating competition and competed in the 2006 Olympics, plans to pursue both her competitive figure skating career and full-time studies at Harvard. She will train at the nearby Skating Club of Boston under coaches Peter Johansson and Mark Mitchell.

“It’s not going to be easy, but if anyone could do it, it would be Emily,” Johansson said. “She will be a great asset at the rink and at school.”

While Emily is not the first Hughes to attend Harvard—her sister, Rebecca graduated from the College in 1999—the Hughes’ allegiances are spread across the Ivy League. Both of her parents as well as her brother attended Cornell. Sister and 2002 Olympic gold medalist Sarah is currently enrolled at Yale College.

While Harvard does not have a varsity or junior varsity figure skating team, there is a Harvard University Figure Skating Club.

Members of the club are enthusiastic about her future presence on campus.

“I think she will bring a lot to the undergraduate community,” said Angela Y. Ying ’09, co-chair of “An Evening with Champions,” the annual fundraiser that brings in ice stars. Ying said she hoped that Hughes might join the performance while at school.

Rafael T. Quintanar ’10, another member of the Harvard Figure Skating Club, said he spoke to Hughes at last year’s “Evening with Champions” fundraiser and thought that Hughes wouldn’t bring up her Olympic accomplishments.

“I have a feeling she’s not going to brag about it. She’ll be like, ‘Hey, I’m Emily,” Quintanar said. “Maybe she’ll come to our [club] banquets.”

Hughes’ family said they supported her decision to tackle both professional and academic pursuits at Harvard.

“We are thrilled that she is going. My wife and I are fully encouraging,” said Hughes’ father, John.

“It’s her ambition,” he added. “This is a challenge she wants to take.”