Tan Released After Four Days in Malaysian Government Custody

Former student returned home Tuesday afternoon, according to blog

By Crimson News Staff

The former student held by Malaysian police after his arrest Friday under the Official Secrets Act was released from custody on Tuesday afternoon in Malaysia, posts on his online blog reported.

Nathaniel J. Tan ’03-’04 was accused of violating the country’s Communication and Multimedia Act after a comment posted by another person on his blog suggested bribery in an ongoing case regarding Malaysian Deputy Internal Security Minister Johari Baharom, a source speaking on the condition of anonymity told The Crimson Monday.

Tan is the secretary for the Foundation For the Future, a grant-making organization run by former Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Anwar Ibrahim. A controversial figure in Malaysia, Ibrahim spent five years in prison on corruption and sodomy charges before the latter conviction was overturned in September 2004.

Both Tan and Ibrahim are members of the People’s Justice Party, which has in the past clashed with Malaysia’s largest political party, the United Malays National Organization.

Supporters had circulated an online petition calling for Tan’s release, and a candlelight vigil was held Sunday night in his honor.

Tan thanked his supporters, calling them “truly beloved friends” in a brief message posted on the blog after returning home Tuesday. He also promised “to write more soon.”

—Check thecrimson.com for updates.