Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Endowment Chief To Step Down

El-Erian to return to California company

By Crimson News Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

The head of Harvard’s $34.9 billion endowment will leave his post after just one and a half years in office, the University announced Tuesday.

Mohamed A. El-Erian, president and chief executive officer of Harvard Management Company (HMC), will resign at the end of 2007 to take a job with his former company, California-based Pacific Investment Management Company.

“My time at Harvard has exposed me to many wonderful and interesting issues and people,” El-Erian said in a statement. He added that he was returning to California to “be closer to our family.”

El-Erian came to HMC in February 2006 after a protracted search of over 10 months.

The prior CEO, Jack R. Meyer, took nearly one-third of HMC's employees with him to start a new hedge fund. Meyer and other top officials at the company had been criticized for their multi-million-dollar salaries and bonuses.

Under El-Erian, Harvard sought to rebuild its depleted internal investment company instead of outsourcing endowment management to other firms, as other peer institutions—including Yale—had done.

During fiscal year 2007, the first full-year with El-Erian at the helm, the endowment returned 23 percent, ballooning from $29.2 billion to $34.9 billion. A search for El-Erian's successor will begin immediately, a press release said.

—Check thecrimson.com for updates throughout the day.