Sick of Starbucks? Check out True Grounds for some prime people-watching.

The Tasty World Outside Harvard Square

To foodophiles, the dining hall broccoli and cheese chicken breast is a bewildering beast. Why would you do that to
By Elsa S. Kim

To foodophiles, the dining hall broccoli and cheese chicken breast is a bewildering beast. Why would you do that to a poor cafeteria chicken breast that’s probably a mutant anyway? Thankfully, a beautiful brunch is neither far nor expensive. We become so shut-in at Harvard that a 10-minute trip out of our Square is an excursion. Thus, FM brings you tips for an out-of-your-square-and-out-of-your-mind dining experience—and it’s not just about the food.

The diner Sound Bites boasts lines around the corner every single weekend. It’s a local legend in Ball Square near Tufts—one of those restaurants that’s known for being popular as much as it’s known for being delicious. Getting there is a simple bus ride on the 96, or a T-ride to Davis and a walk up College Ave.

But why bother tossing off mildly peeved, tired banter with your neighbor in line? Lyndell’s Bakery, just across the street, offers up pastry classics: danishes, scones, and generously frosted cupcakes in white cardboard boxes tied with string. Abundant seating with a view of the Tufts campus is available nearby in Nathan Tufts Park. To complete the day, one could stop in at True Grounds coffee house, to enjoy fairly average coffee and cozy ambiance for reading.

Now that Toscanini’s has vacated Harvard Square, you’ll have to head down Mass Ave. near Central to get Tosca’s espresso and freshly made ice cream. They also feature brunch on Saturdays and Sundays, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., with offerings like warm breakfast pudding with Vermont maple syrup and soft cream.

But if you want to go pure Euro-style, Clear Flour Bread in Allston can’t be beat. After a 15-minute ride on the 66, a short walk down Commonwealth Ave. and a right turn on Thorndike, one stumbles upon a bakery small enough to be a hobbit’s home. Classic breads like French and sourdough are their staples, but rustic fruit tarts and specials like challah and large, egg and butter laden brioche also stack the racks.

Travel can often be procrastination, whether on a large scale (the responsibility-avoiding bohos hopping through Thailand) or on a small scale (taking the 96 to Davis for brunch). The most minor trip away from Harvard can seem like the greatest escape. Once witnessed, the grand ’ol Americana suburbs of Somerville or the broad, multicultural Allston boulevards give a new sheen to the Yard. A day spent away from campus is thus doubly great, in leaving and returning.