SPORTS BRIEF: Markley and Ryabkina honored for weekend performances

By Crimson Sports Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

In a weekend of strong rookie play across Crimson squads, basketball’s Emma Markley and hockey’s Liza Ryabkina were honored as the rookies of the week for the Ivy League and ECAC, respectively.

The women’s basketball team struggled to find any consistency this weekend against Dartmouth, but Markley came to the rescue to give her squad a 47-34 victory. The freshman scored a game-high 13 points on 6-for-6 shooting in just 15 minutes of play. Six of those points solidified the Crimson’s lead as the Big Green threatened in the waning minutes of the first half.

In addition to her shooting prowess, the freshman notched eight rebounds, two steals, and a block.

Not to be outdone by her classmate, Ryabkina led her squad back to the No. 1 spot in the nation with a 4-0 victory over Dartmouth on the ice. In her three-point performance, Ryabkina scored the first—and go-ahead—goal at 13:08 of the first period and added two assists in defeating the No. 10 team in the country.

Ryabkina sits sixth nationally among first-years with 1.00 points per game. She is fourth in points and second in assists for the Crimson.

After returning to the 500 mark in the Ancient Eight, the women’s basketball squad faces off against Penn and Princeton this weekend at Lavietes Pavilion. Women’s hockey returns to action Friday at Brown and Saturday at home against Yale.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Women's Ice Hockey