Harvard Art Museum Receives $45 Million Gift from Pulitzer

Decades of philanthropy to museum includes 74 works and funds to purchase 92 others

By The Crimson Staff

The Harvard Art Museum received a $45-million donation and 31 works by leading modernist and contemporary painters in a gift from Emily Rauh Pulitzera former curator at the museum and wife of the late Joseph Pulitzer Jr. '36, the grandson of the famous newspaper publisherUniversity officials announced today.

The donation, which includes painting by Pablo Picasso, Joan Miro, and Barnett Newman, is "one of the most significant donations of art" that the Harvard Art Museum has ever received. The $45-million is also the largest financial gift ever to the museum.

“Both Joe and I have supported the Art Museum over the years in recognition of Harvard’s unparalleled role in the development of professionals in the arts worldwide and because of our belief that the arts are a cornerstone in learning and education in all fields," Pulitzer said in a statement.

Pulitzer joined the museum as an assistant curator of drawings in 1957 and earned a master's degree in arts from Harvard six years later. She currently serves as a member of the Board of Overseers.

The gift comes at a time of transition for Harvard's museums as its flagship, the Fogg Art Museum at 32 Quincy St., has closed for renovations and expansion under the architect Renzo Piano.

Pulitzer, her husband, and his first wife have given generously to the art museum in the past. In addition to the 31 works and the $45 million donated today, the University announced 43 other modern and contemporary works donated by the family between 1953 and 2005. Those works, which were never formally announced, include paintings by Cézanne, Monet, and Picasso.

Museum officials also said that the financial support of the Pulitzers has allowed it to purchase 92 works of art over the past few decades.

"Emmy has been the Art Museum's most active and dedicated benefactor, and her and Joe's long-term, substantive support has enriched the experience of countless students, researchers, and visitors," said Thomas W. Lentz, the director of the Harvard Art Museum. "This current gift provides tremendous new strength in the museum's holdings of modern and contemporary art."

Check TheCrimson.com throughout the weekend for updates on this story.